Cocktails and Books's Reviews > Hat Trick

Hat Trick by Kristen Hope Mazzola

liked it
Read 2 times

This review was originally posted on Cocktails and Books

I wanted to so much to fall in love with this story. Myla, Brayden and Gavin were linked by the hockey playing fathers and probably could have had a very angsty, emotional story. Instead, this one fell flat to me with an unrealistic romance and storylines that left me hanging.

Myla and Gavin's romance was almost too easy, given everything else that was happening. They hide their romance from her brother. He's mad, but that seems to slip away. Then there is the censure from Gavin's parents over their relationship, but that also seems to fall by the wayside. Given these huge obstacles, I wanted more angst and to have one or both of these be a factor in demonstrating how this couple should be together. Instead they just merrily moved on and everything was OK.

Brayden was another story. He was a hot mess. He had a lot of guilt when it came to Myla, their mother's death and unresolved anger with their father. He dealt with this by raging on the ice and turning to alcohol off the ice. This storyline had a good start, but this seemed to tie up a little too neatly for someone who had such issues.

As I said above, I wanted to love this story. But there neatly tied up storylines that felt like they should have been a lot messier bothered me a bit. I would have been ok with the ending if there was truly some suffering and redemption for these three characters before we got there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hat Trick.

Finished Reading
October 5, 2016 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
October 5, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-reading-cha... (Paperback Edition)
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-rom... (Paperback Edition)
October 6, 2016 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
October 25, 2016 – Shelved