Rachael's Reviews > Argos

Argos by Phillip W. Simpson

Argos, faithful hound of the great hero Odysseus, is given center-stage in this unique retelling of mythological events. I have always been quite keen on Odysseus, and it was a lot of fun to have a completely different POV from which to view him BUT Argos is the star. I so appreciate the carefully crafted approach, with Argos looking back on his life telling the tale of his adventures to Cerberus. This traditional narrative technique echoes the style of Simpson's 'Minotaur' harkening back to the 'oral-tradition' of story telling, the formal tone creates a sense of time/place/history/weight/voice.

Argos's adventures are many and varied and wild fun. I love how Simpson introduces the villain of the piece and keeps bringing him across Argos's path, weaving their fates to a wonderfully dramatic end. I love seeing the gods appear on the page and the way Argos faces each challenge. However, Argos's intelligence, faithfulness and courage only serve to confirm to me that my dog is a useless sack of bones. Miss Jingles - for shame. (I still love her). My favourite scenes (without too many spoilers) are when Argos thwarts a King's son, meets a goddess, forms an alliance with a fellow-fanged-friend and faces a most unexpected-horned beast. I love the extra abilities/senses Argos learns to wield.

I am not ashamed to admit I cried at a certain point. I won't say when. What can I say, I'm a soft touch.

Also: a hoot and a holler for Simpson's crisp clean writing, tight pacing and structure. The reader is in safe hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Argos.

October 24, 2016 – Started Reading
October 24, 2016 – Shelved
October 24, 2016 –
page 24
8.0% "Such tight, clean writing."
October 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Simpson Bless. Thanks, Rachael. For what it's worth, our dog, Whiskey, sleeps for 22 hours per day. When she's not doing that, she's eating and/or looking for food.

Rachael Phillip wrote: "Bless. Thanks, Rachael. For what it's worth, our dog, Whiskey, sleeps for 22 hours per day. When she's not doing that, she's eating and/or looking for food."

The sleeping! Always sleeping!!