Y.M. Nelson's Reviews > Rule Breaker

Rule Breaker by Sienna Snow

liked it

In the world of contemporary erotic romance novels with BDSM elements, this is one that, to me, gets the culture right, even down to the capital "D" whenever Dom is mentioned and the lowercase "s" for submissive. Also, it takes the shock value off what people in BDSM relationships DO and brings to light the intense, trusting, love bond you have to have to do the things you do in these relationships.

The presence of Arya, a WOC (woman of color), as conglomerate owner and a tech "super nerd" was a big hooray! for me. It's a refreshing change from the naïve, virginal, white girl being introduced to a powerful Dominant man. Arya and her former Dom Maxwell are equals in their business lives, moving in and around traditional gender roles. I love this! I wish I liked the actual character of Arya more, but that may be my personal hang up. (view spoiler)

The writer girl in me was missing some things, which most readers probably wouldn't care about. I figured out what they were near the end: a lot of the descriptions and scene settings are missing or are barely there. 1) this tends to happen a lot in book 1 of a serial because you're focused on developing likeable characters that keep readers reading, 2) we're plot driven right now in contemporary fiction. (Especially when a good story will end up going to screen, anyway. Let the director set the scene.) The book's still enjoyable, but when I can't see where the people are, what they look like, etc., I can't get fully immersed in a book. Part of enjoying a novel--especially a romance novel--for me is escape, and without descriptions, I can't totally escape. 3) There's also a lot of telling in the dialogue. While, here, you need what they said for backstory, and in the dialogue is one way to do that, sometimes it reads weird. It feels like people wouldn't talk this way.

In all, it was enjoyable, and I'm excited that the next book will delve into Milla and Lex more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rule Breaker.

October 24, 2016 – Shelved