Christian's Reviews > The Sister

The Sister by Max China

31977966

liked it

The Sister has some good elements that make it a recommendable read. There is a lot of complexity to the story and in how every piece of the puzzle fits into the larger picture, The Sister herself along with one or two other characters are intriguing, and the conclusion seems to tie most of the sub-stories into a credible unit.

Where I had a bit of difficulty, and why I only gave 3 stars, is that the story, at least in the early chapters, is very truncated and does not flow very well. During the first third or so of the novel, the author gives us seemingly random short stories about various characters in various years (although it's easy to guess that they are linked somehow and reading further will let us find out how). I thought there was a lack of hints and ties between them in that first portion that made it a very slow read. It also failed to keep my attention focused on the book. However, once you get past that first third, the author concentrates on a certain set of characters and both the flow and the pace increase, improving the story and reading experience.

I was also somewhat disappointed in the lack of prominence of The Sister as a player in much of the book. Yes, she is the link between many events and characters in the story, and yes she does add to the mystery and atmosphere of the book, but since the novel is titled after her I expected a stronger presence.

In the end I through The Sister was a decent read. I'm just not sure it was enough to make me want to investigate more of Max China's writings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sister.

October 24, 2016 – Started Reading