Laurie's Reviews > A Haven on Orchard Lane

A Haven on Orchard Lane by Lawana Blackwell

This is my first book by Lawana Blackwell and she's been added to my list of favorite authors. I was beaming with pleasure while reading A Haven on Orchard Lane. What a delightful historic tale it was, filled with characters of substance that I could envision so clearly; and beautiful, refreshing dialogue that made this book the epitome of comfort and warmth. To be honest, I had taken a break from historic novels because I was growing weary of the same plot lines and scenarios. This book has caused me to regain faith in the genre. The story was unique and unlike any other book I've read in this category, with writing that spoke to my heart and nourished my soul. I was always ready to pick up where I'd left off. Now a little of what it was about....
Mrs. Charlotte Fosberry was a highly respected actress in her former days. Now at 50, she's no longer on stage, but married to Lord Fosberry who did not marry her for love. Presuming she possessed more wealth than was the case, he confessed his true motives for marrying her and has grown critical and mentally abusive to Charlotte; making off-color comments about her weight and such. She desperately needs a way out and it comes by way of a theater part that she is called upon to play. Knowing that Lord Fosberry won't allow her to just walk away from their marriage, Charlotte must devise a scheme to make her exit. Things don't turn out the way she expects regarding her big break on stage, and she finds herself at the mercy of her estranged daughter, Rosalind, who Charlotte did not raise. Forgiveness is the order of the day, and Rosalind will learn almost immediately that her mother isn't the person she's made her out to be. In fact, Charlotte has much to contribute to many secondary characters by way of wisdom, and even theatrical experience. There's a little mystery and intrigue in the story, a love triangle and ultimately the most wonderfully fulfilling ending.
Ms. Blackwell does Christian Fiction right. There are a few brief scriptural references to bible passages and characters, and a mention here and there of the folks making their way to worship services. But happily it wasn't a lesson in Christianity or didactic in any way (I attend my own worship services for that). Oftentimes when reading a Christian Fiction novel I find that the author's views don't align with my personal beliefs and ultimately upset my delicate sensibilities related to religion. Because of this I find it difficult to review these preachy books objectively. This was not so with A Haven on Orchard Lane. What little I didn't agree with wasn't enough to affect my enjoyment of the book. It was mainly just solid story-telling without profanity, violence or graphic sexual scenes. What I personally expect from a Christian Fiction novel. I loved it!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Thank you Bethany House for a free copy of this book. I have not received any payment for my honest opinions about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Haven on Orchard Lane.

October 6, 2016 – Started Reading
October 24, 2016 – Shelved
October 24, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lawana (new)

Lawana Blackwell Laurie, thank you so much. I'm learning not to preach; as you said, we have our own churches for that. I feared some readers would fault me for that, so your review made my day!

Laurie You're welcome!! Some readers MAY fault you for that, but it's what I appreciated when I read your book. What I look for in Christian Fiction is a book free of violence, profanity and sexual content, not one heavily laden with doctrine and the author's personal interpretation of the Bible. Thank you for the delicate balance you obtained in A Haven on Orchard Lane; wholesome content without attempting to sway the reader to adopt your own religious beliefs. Very well done. ( :