Rupinder's Reviews > Mindfulness in Plain English

Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana

it was ok
Recommended for: Vipassana-Novices

Since this is not a 'book' based in fiction or non-fiction genres, it is a bit unfair to give any rating to this work. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. So the real merit of this book can be judged by somebody who actively meditates, since this is essentially a manual for Vipassana Meditation.

I am yet to try out Vipassana, but I am pretty eager after reading this book. IMHO, the book can be pared to at least half its length if the author were not so verbose. And as you can expect from any book dealing with these topics, there is a little bit of 'woo' sprinkled here and there. But I think this is definitely not the worst in that regard.

The instructions given in this book are fairly straight-forward without too much extra baggage. It definitely arouses reader's interest in the practice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindfulness in Plain English.

October 24, 2016 – Shelved
October 25, 2016 – Started Reading
October 25, 2016 –
page 46
October 27, 2016 –
page 95
October 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Zak (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zak My main thought whilst reading the whole book was "this should be half the length it is". It just felt very repetitive and over explanatory to me, unfortunately. But alas, it did give the information I wanted!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Why did you put book in inverted commas?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Zak, "alas" means "what a pity"

Rupinder Hi Rebecca, I put book in inverted commas as I thought it is more of a manual.

message 5: by Zak (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zak Rebecca wrote: "Zak, "alas" means "what a pity""
So it does Rebecca, thanks!