Shayantani Das's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Jun 24, 2011

bookshelves: favorite
Read from July 31 to August 05, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

Quotes Shayantani Liked

Margaret Mitchell
“I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.”

Margaret Mitchell
“I'll think of it tomorrow, at Tara. I can stand it then. Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day.”

Margaret Mitchell
“Burdens are for shoulders strong enough to carry them.”

Margaret Mitchell
“Supposed I don't want to redeem myself? Why should I fight to uphold the system that cast me out? I shall take pleasure in seeing it smashed.”

Margaret Mitchell
“Sir,"she said,"you are no gentleman!"

An apt observation,"he answered airily."And, you, Miss, are no lady.”

Margaret Mitchell
“Life was not easy, nor was it happy, but she did not expect life to be easy, and, if it was not happy, that was woman's lot. It was a man's world, and she accepted it as such. The man owned the property, and the woman managed it. The man took credit for the management, and the woman praised his cleverness. The man roared like a bull when a splinter was in his finger, and the woman muffled the moans of childbirth, lest she disturb him. Men were rough of speech and often drunk. Women ignored the lapses of speech and put the drunkards to bed without bitter words. Men were rude and outspoken, women were always kind, gracious and forgiving.”

Margaret Mitchell
“Until you've lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.”
Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

07/31/2011 "reading all the books I was reluctant to pick up earlier."