Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Rest of Us Just Live Here

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

2281988

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, level-young-adult

In the world of this book, everything happens to the indie kids. They fall in love with vampires, open magical portals, fight evil enemies, and save the world again and again and again. But this story is not about them. It's about everyone else, the normal people who are affected - even if only very minorly - by the indie kids' triumphs and failures. It's about Mikey, who has OCD, and his sister, Mel, who battles anorexia, and his best friend Jared, who is part-God, and his love interest, Henna, who seems like she might be interested in the new guy. It's also about coming to the end of high school, looking toward the future, and trying to come into one's own, even as parents and colleges and paranormal outside forces attempt to control fate.

I heard Patrick Ness speak at National Book Festival, and knew immediately that I had to read some of his work. I chose this book because it seemed the least scary, and the most like books I typically like. And I loved it. I loved how each chapter summarized what was happening to the indie kids at the outset, and then completely ignored their story to focus on Mikey and his friends instead. I loved the clever mockery of tropes of the fantasy genre, and the fact that this book also makes use of some of those tropes. I also loved that the ending is believable and satisfying, but not necessarily completely happy. This is a very "teen" book so I won't be introducing it to my now-toddlers any time soon, but it was one of the best YA books I've read in a long while, and I think I'll probably pick up another Ness book before too long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rest of Us Just Live Here.

October 23, 2016 – Shelved