Emily's Reviews > A Madness of Angels

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin

Jun 24, 2011

Read from May 09 to 10, 2011 , read count: 1

"We be light, we be life, we be fire!
We sing electric flame, we rumble underground wind, we dance heaven!
Come be we and be free!"

This is quite a weird sort of book, probably a bit "marmite" in its style - you'll either love it or hate it. I loved it. I liked the fact that it was just so different to everything else I'd read. I also liked the fact that, having visited London a good many times, I was familiar with a lot of the areas that were being described in the story.

Lots of lovely twists on old magic - the London Underground sign as a symbol of powerful magic, the license to travel on an underground ticket as a warding spell - unique, quirky and fun.

After waking up two years after he died, Matthew finds he has to hunt down his old magic teacher and his teacher's evilly powerful shadow. Urban magic, taken from the streetlights and gas mains, fighting Litterbugs (giant rubbish-based constructs) with summoned bin-lorries. It's fascinating, it's desperate, it's about two types of being living in one body and trying to get used to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Madness of Angels.

Quotes Emily Liked

Kate Griffin
“We be light, we be life, we be fire! We sing electric flame, we rumble underground wind, we dance heaven! Come be we and be free!”

Kate Griffin
“Where there is life, there will be magic; the one generates the other.”
tags: life, magic

Kate Griffin
“When we blaze, when we fight, when we rejoice, then I am all us, for that is all we are. When I am...afraid...we do not understand, do not like these things. We are me. It is...frightening, having to be me.”

“Life is magic.
I knew, without having to ask, what she meant. Life was not the magic of spells or enchantments or sorcery; or, it was, but that was not the point. Life created magic as an accidental by-product, it wasn't, definite article, absolute statement, A=B, magic. Life was magic in a more mundane sense of the word; the act of living being magic all of its own.
This was something we instinctively understood - it simply hadn't occurred to us that it might need explaining.”
tags: life, magic

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe kinda like kill bill meets dresden files