Rebecca's Reviews > Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded

Buffering by Hannah Hart

liked it

3.5
I wasn't expecting much, since it was just one more Youtuber's biography. But I've always found Hannah Hart quite funny and the book was short, so why not?
Well, I was not prepared for this. The book actually focuses mainly on mental illnesses - from the terrible situation her mother's schizophrenia put her and her sisters in, the appalling childhood, the trauma she suffered from the family she had and how it dictated the rest of her life. It is quite heavier than expected, with so many interesting moments where we can easily see how mental issues are neglected, how families are directly affected and how the system simply doesn't know ways to handle these cases properly.
Of course, the girl's life didn't hover around mental illnesses, but of course her main stories where about it directly or stemming from it. However, even on the rare moments they were just about Youtube friendships or relationships, Hannah is a good enough writer to make it funny and interesting all the way.
It didn't leave me all happy and giddy and 'oh what a fun book' - of course - but it was so interesting. A very nice surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffering.

October 23, 2016 – Shelved