D. Jason's Reviews > Lt. Leary, Commanding

Lt. Leary, Commanding by David Drake

Jun 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: action, adventure, baen-books, epub-editions, free, military-sf, science-fiction, space-opera, rcn-series
Read from June 23 to July 10, 2011

Lt. Daniel Leary, based on his adventures in "With the Lightnings", finds himself in command of a corvette with a loyal and hyper-competent crew, and a mission to deliver a political exile back to his home planet. Or so it would seem.

More space opera goodness, with a good bit more planet-hopping and space-battling than the first go-round, and it ends up being just about as satisfying as the first book.

Just about.

The opening quarter or so of the book felt bloated to me, with Drake giving in to the temptation to catalog things rather than just give the essential, evocative detail. Some of this may be due to the nature of the story -- neither Leary nor Adele Mundy have the slightest clue what is going on for a large chunk of the book and, therefore, neither does the reader. Until about halfway through, it's clear that something's not right, but you only begin being able to put together just what in the latter half of the book. (You may view it as either blessing or curse, but Drake does not drop long explanations on his reader, expecting that the reader should be able to put pieces together himself in the end.) Even taking that into consideration, I felt the opening was slow, and not as fun as the first book (or as the later stages of this one).

That said, this was still a very enjoyable read, and I'm probably going to jump into the next one before other, more important things which I likely ought to read first.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lt. Leary, Commanding.