Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Based on a True Story

Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Man was I looking forward to reading this book. In case I haven’t made it really flippin’ crystal clear already, I’m a HUUUUGE fan of all things SNL. While others complain about bad seasons and bad casts, I am a constant defender and only acknowledge bad skits or bad reoccurring characters rather than opting to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I also believe Norm Macdonald is one of comedy’s most untapped resources. His dry delivery and “guy you’d like to have a beer with” approachability have made him a favorite of mine. Not to mention how well he did behind the news desk on the Weekend Update – that is, until jokes about a certain someone got to be too much and he ended up shitcanned . . . .

When it comes to reading books about SNL folks (or comedians in general, for that matter) I expect there to be a lot of funny ha-ha. While there was a blip about how a certain someone came to fruition . . .

And while there is obviously way more material to work with during this current election cycle . . .

There was a notable void in discussion of another pretty memorable candidate . . . .

Or even how the ever rotating casting of this character came to be . . . .

In fact, there was practically nothing mentioned about anything. Instead, Norm’s “biography” read a little like a long, strange acid trip or a road trip similar to another I’ve read about before . . . .

Basically, Norm’s book is nothing but bullshit. He spins yarns of a high-functioning morphine addiction, doing hard time in the joint (as well as butt-rape, natch), and running up a million dollar all-or-nothing marker in Vegas. Out of 200+ pages the only things that seemed to be real rather than “based on a true story” were Norm’s unending appreciation for Adam Sandler’s friendship and all he has done in order to keep enough cash in Norm’s pocket to keep purchasing his Wild Turkey 101 . . .

And a story of “Old Jack,” a hired hand who lived on his family’s farm for ages and one day took an 8 year old Norm to see his pet squirrel . . . .

“He closed the door and the inside of the shed went black. Then I heard the bolt. I forget what happened next.”

Needless to say that little tidbit threw me for a bit of a loop . . . .

I have no idea if this book will work for others. All I can say it is different from any other biography I’ve ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Based on a True Story.

October 23, 2016 – Started Reading
October 25, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
October 25, 2016 – Shelved as: road-trippin
October 25, 2016 – Shelved as: funny-haha
October 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Sounds like a doozy.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) It was a wild ride for sure!

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Quixote Speaking of SNL, did you watch the last episode? Haunted Elevator - one of the best sketches I've ever seen, not just on that show, but ever! I can't stop watching it!! https://youtu.be/rS00xWnqwvI

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yes! The only thing better was "can a bitch get a donut????"

message 5: by Char (last edited Oct 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Char What a bummer this is. I too am a big SNL fan and I'm trying to read all of the autobios and bios I can find, (though I do prefer them on audio and read by the author.) Looks like I'll be passing on this one. Norm was always one of my favorites, especially during the time when he did the news.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Char wrote: "What a bummer this is. I too am a big SNL fan and I'm trying to read all of the autobios and bios I can find, (though I do prefer them on audio and read by the author.) Looks like I'll be passing o..."

Wait until you're in a mood for some bizarro fiction ; )

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Strömquist I read this review three times now (and that's fine, 'cause I always enjoy your reviews Kelly), but, residing on the other side of the pond, I must add: SNL? Norm Mcdonald? Adam Sandler?

message 8: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Okay I'll give you a pass on not knowing Norm or the Saturday Night Live abbreviation, but Sandler???? What do you do over there? Watch Jerry Lewis marathons like the French????

message 9: by Char (new)

Char Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Okay I'll give you a pass on not knowing Norm or the Saturday Night Abbreviation, but Sandler???? What do you do over there? Watch Jerry Lewis marathons like the French????"

LOL Right?!

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Strömquist The question mark after Sandler's name was different. It meant: why is he famous?

11811 (Eleven) This makes me sad but I gotta read it anyway.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) You might like it. Heck I might have liked it if I wasn't expecting something totally different.

11811 (Eleven) My library doesn't have it. Shame on them. It got a positive review from the Wall Street Journal so I have to give it a try. And Norm is awesome.

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Aww that's a bummer...
He really was awesome on Weekend update.
Great review and gifts my dear :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Deanna! I wish I would have known what to expect. It's probably worth more than 3 Stars, but I was hoping for a memoir and not a trip to crazytown ; )

message 16: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Gauthier Ok....THANK YOU for acknowledging how disturbing the Old Jack chapter was....im trying to figure out if that was supposed to be funny or an admission...i had had such high hopes and am super disappointed. Sigh.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Jessica wrote: "Ok....THANK YOU for acknowledging how disturbing the Old Jack chapter was....im trying to figure out if that was supposed to be funny or an admission...i had had such high hopes and am super disapp..."

I think that may have been the ONLY true thing in the entire book . . . . which makes it so much more disturbing to me : (

message 18: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Lefebvre The book is a comic novel, and a great one, not a memoir. I don't know why it was marketed as a memoir (they sell better probably) but Norm is adamant that it is a novel.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Glad you enjoyed it, Bob. Unfortunately (novel or not), it missed the mark for me.

Andrew Klimkowski Completely accurate review by Kelly.

Uroš Rajšić The jokes flew over your head, that Jack story is a typical Norm dark humor. And a masterpiece at that.

message 22: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Sep 05, 2017 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Uroš wrote: "The jokes flew over your head, that Jack story is a typical Norm dark humor. And a masterpiece at that."

Yes. I'm an idiot. You should write your own review and mansplain all the jokes. Oh wait, you can't because you haven't even READ THE FUCKING THING YET: