Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Illuminae

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

47207032

UPDATED THOUGHTS:
Ok, so I've calmed down a bit and am feeling better about this. It's amazing how many different forms this book took; in the beginning I was intrigued but felt it was a little slow moving, partially due to so many "technical sci-fi (ish)" terms and the choppy format. Amazing how it could feel so hindering yet unique at the same time. Once the stage was set though, I had a really hard time putting this down. I had no idea how many twists and turns I was in for, and I REALLY had no idea how emotional of a ride this would be. I'm glad I put this one off until I already had Gemina on hand, as I didn't realize these were more of companion novels than a linear series, as time really can't be trusted in these books. All I can say is, if by some miracle you haven't read this yet, stop reading reviews and just pick up the book! Don't let anyone ruin this for you. Also, I now understand the emotions previous readers feel while seeing the new readers status updates along the way... My poor heart is still trying to recover from the whiplash this book gave me. THANKS ALOT GUYS.

ORIGINAL THOUGHTS:
WHAT DID I JUST READ?!?!?! My feelings are feeling all of the feelies right now, and how dare you leave me hanging like that? JK, I have the next book on my shelf. My words aren't working right now, but this started out as one book and then turned into another? I feel like I've been privileged to these characters most intimate details and it makes me slightly uncomfortable in the best way. I'll think on this and try to write a real review with words and thoughts and things. MIND BLOWN.

P.S. Please make this a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminae.

October 23, 2016 – Shelved
January 5, 2017 – Started Reading
January 5, 2017 –
page 110
18.36% "I'm loving the IM chats; it's bringing me back to my AIM days. Kady is finally starting to grow on me. I <3 Ezra and ok Sana WHAT'S WRONG WITH AIDAN WHY IS AIDAN DOWN. I'm already worried about him/her/it. Geez."
January 8, 2017 –
page 172
28.71% "Omg Sgt James McNulty :( :( :( :("
January 9, 2017 –
page 308
51.42% ""AM I NOT MERCIFUL?" \n\nOh boy. Geez Louise. Holy Marmalade. Beard of Moses. That escalated quickly."
January 10, 2017 –
page 440
73.46% "Oh man... my heart. Make it stop hurting please. :'("
January 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

Brandie Yes!! This book blew my mind! Glad you liked it too.

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Brandie; I can finally attest that the hype is justified. I totally feel like the very last person to have read it though. :)

message 3: by Bianca (new)

Bianca I'll probably have to read it, just to see what the hype is all about. Love the covers of both volumes.

Chelsea Humphrey Definitely Bianca. I was a little bored in the beginning, but I'm glad I hung with it!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy I haven't read it either!

Chelsea Humphrey Amy, you've got to read this one! Soooo good!

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ I liked this book very much too! But the second book totally ruined my life, it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING. YOU HAVE TO READ GEMINA. IMMEDIATELY.

Chelsea Humphrey Alright it's settled. I'll dust it off and get cracking on it!

Krystal It was AMAZINGGGGG RIGHT??????

Chelsea Humphrey Krystal it was!

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Chelsea.

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Maureen. Hoping I can find more words today to add to it

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Can't wait to see what you add to it Chelsea.

Chelsea Humphrey Thank you lovely! XX

Frances Great review Chelsea; I have been tempted to add and after your endorsement 'pick up now' - I'll have to!!!

Chelsea Humphrey Yay Frances! It is a very different book. Unlike anything I've read before!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm seeing such polarised opinions of this, I'm not sure whether to read it or not! What books would you compare it to?

Chelsea Humphrey It's definitely one of a kind Sarah! I actually haven't read much in this genre so I'm not sure what to compare it to.

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Chelsea.

Chelsea Humphrey Thank you Maureen; you're a dear!

message 21: by Lili (new)

Lili  Marcus hmmmm...maybe this is my next book..your review is just great it makes me want to read this..

Chelsea Humphrey Lili I say go for it!

message 23: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Booth Fabulous review. Really wants to make me read this book. Its going to go on the TBR pile I am sure.

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Ruth; enjoy!

Michał Steier Now I'm sure this is one of the books I'll grab pretty soon. Thanks

Chelsea Humphrey Yay! So glad to hear it Michal!

Chelsea Humphrey Also, my Nana book buddy will be starting this one soon! Yay!

message 28: by Letty (new) - added it

Letty This sounds really good. Adding to my huge TBR list!!

Chelsea Humphrey Yay Letty! It's a must read- very unique and the formatting makes it a quick read as well.

☽Luna☾ Great review lovely

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks you sweets! XO

message 32: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana imagine how fucking cool this will be as a movie

message 33: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara Hmm so buy both books at once from Book Depository not one at a time. Gotcha!

Chelsea Humphrey Yes!!!!! Buy them all!!!

message 35: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara Just purchased. So excited!

Chelsea Humphrey Chiara YAY!!!!!!!!!!

rishika This book was amazing! Just finished reading it!

Chelsea Humphrey I'm so glad you loved it!

Sheila Goicea "Amazing how it could feel so hindering yet unique at the same time." --- my thoughts exactly. There were aspects to which I didn't like. But the uniqueness of story and format just, blows all of that away.

Chelsea Humphrey So true Sheila!

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Chelsea
the I'm like the other Sarah in the comments. I can't decide if I will enjoy this or not. Sounds way out of my genre. Lol !

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thanks Chelsea for such a great review. I added this one and the next one to my TBR list. I have no idea what I'm in for. :-)

Chelsea Humphrey Oh Sarah so glad to hear it! I'll be honest, I had to be in the right mood for it. They are both hefty, thick books. But the formatting is so unique!

message 44: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni Your review made me pick this book up today at Barnes and Noble. It is different than what I usually read and I am enjoying it so far! Thanks for recommending!