Lizzy Seitz's Reviews > Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded

Buffering by Hannah Hart

20432295

5 out of 5 stars.

This was the perfect book for the time I was reading it. I need/needed to process somethings in my life and getting to read Hannah's essays about her life really clicked with me and helped me process some of them. I don't want to spoil what she wrote because I think it needs to be read and not paraphrased so instead on this review I'm going to share my favorite essays and quotes.

Favorite Essays:
Original Kin
Shadow Boxer
[Un]packing a Punch
Nest
Body Language

Favorite Quotes:

"Somethings take time to process, and one must have healthy boundaries of time and space in place in order to do so...Buffering is that time you spend waiting for hte pixels of your life to crystallize into a clearer picture; it's a time of reflection, a time of pause, a time for regaining your composure or readjusting your course."-page xii

"Selfishly, I wanted to write this to feel less alone. Selflessly, I hope it helps you feel less alone too."-page xiii

"'Are you writing out your feelings?'
'Of course.'
She's nodding. 'That's what I do when I can't talk to someone I love.'"-page 9

"In truth, I wasn't being good out of love or respect for their parenting. I was being good because I was kind of scared of them. Scared and ashamed for being dirty and dumb."-page 23

"Sometimes it's just easier to decide that someone is the bad guy. But te truth is never that simple. Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone has a clear view from the rear view mirror."-page 107

"The guilt I feel over that moment- though I know it's unfounded and there was nothing I could do-still feels like a wound that hasn't fully healed."-page 202

"I met others who'd been through pain and who had come out the other side, and I didn't feel so alone."-page 205

"This was our way of leaving our child selves behind, and buffering into adulthood. Choosing between the pixels we'd like to fully load, and which broken images are better left behind."-page 243

"Over the past ten years, I've processed a lot. I'm still processing. I'm proud to be gay. I'm proud to be a reckless optimist. I'm proud to keep learning and sharing what I've learned. I'm proud to be a work in process."-page 246

Bravo Hannah on another fantastic book and one that will hold a special place in my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffering.

October 23, 2016 – Shelved