Rachel's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

liked it

"You're always you, and that don't change. And you're always changing and there's nothing you can do about it."

This is probably going to be a shorter review because I really don't have that much to say about this book -- good or bad.

One of my favorite things about Neil Gaiman is that he always has these little nuggets of wisdom tucked away in all of his stories. He has a knack for wording things in such unique, thought-provoking ways, which I really enjoy. Gaiman's overall writing style in this book was beautiful and eloquent as always. I noticed strong similarities between The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Coraline, both of which are books that I really enjoyed.

The plot was definitely unique -- a boy who is raised in a graveyard by ghosts and spirits. This is a bit of a coming-of-age story, and the overall message is, I think, that one should not hide just because they are different, which is a nice sentiment that is taught in an unconventional way.

At the end of the day, I didn't have any issues with the characters or the storyline, and I enjoyed reading it, but I don't know if the story will stay with me for very long -- it just didn't blow me out of the water. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it and would enjoy it if I revisit it sometime in the future.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

October 22, 2016 – Shelved