Chris 's Reviews > Colonel Sun

Colonel Sun by Robert Markham

1956959

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook

I'd say 2.5 stars, but I can't quite give it 3.

The plot is somewhat uninspired. Not bad, just typical Bond and nothing too intriguing in the story. Not bad and not a waste of time, though with the audio I did find my mind wandering on occasion. The villain, Colonel Sun, is fairly typical for an old-school Bond villain, but he's kinda cool. He has a couple of sidekick sultry gorgeous women and an interesting torture technique that made things a little interesting.

The Bond girl, Ariadne, was pretty good, but not a lot to write home about either as far as uniqueness.

The reader on the audio was kinda blah. Not horrible, but some of his accents and voices were annoying.

This was written in 1968, as the first of the non-Fleming novels published after his death. Not bad, but not particularly engaging. Really, this story would have probably been more interesting if there weren't already a bunch of similar Bond novels and films out there, even by 1968.

Perhaps the best part of this book was a glimpse into the Cold War at the time. It's interesting how it was perceived then, when you look back at how the world has changed so much over the years since.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colonel Sun.

June 23, 2011 – Shelved