Elise (TheBookishActress)'s Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

did not like it
bookshelves: read-2015, genre-contemporary, unowned, 1-star

Go Ask Alice is one of the least believable fake diaries I have ever read. The protagonist is so robotic and idiotic and rings false at every turn.

This story is also just clearly meant as a “don't do drugs, or you will die” cautionary tale. The character actually ends the book resolved to drop her drug addiction, and then dies at the end. I take issue with this form of narrative punishment; I prefer stories where characters make mistakes and yet persevere. This story would be more powerful as a story about redemption.

I also take issue with this entire scheme. Don't write fake diaries as anti-drug propaganda. Is fearmongering really the best way to solve drug problems? I think not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

November 1, 2015 – Started Reading
November 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2016 – Shelved
March 18, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-contemporary
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: unowned
April 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-star

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I really really disliked this book oml it was horrible

Elise (TheBookishActress) @Solomon It totally is

message 3: by Stephan (new)

Stephan I am unhappy to say we both just shared a 1-star experience, albeit with different books. May we be spared in future!

message 4: by Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ (last edited Mar 31, 2017 12:25PM) (new)

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ Well it WAS written in the 70's when we didn't know as much about drugs as we do now. :P