Sam Lewis's Reviews > Butterfly

Butterfly by Rebecca Sherwin

Oct 22, 2016

This review of Butterfly by Rebecca Sherwin is for The Sweet Spot Sisterhood Blog. It gets 5 Stars from me. Rebecca Sherwin is a new author to me. I am also a new fan of dark romances. So if you like dark and twisted then Butterfly is definitely for you. Do not tread lightly into this book, especially if you have triggers. This book involves kidnapping, rape, sodomy, etc. This book also deals with Stockholm Syndrome, which is where the victim starts to identify with their captor. This book had me all over the place emotionally. I really want to hate Cooper for what he has done to Erin, but in all actuality I want them to be together. She anchors him and that is what he needs. This book is so wrong, but Erin and Cooper are so right for each other. Fate has a way of bringing two people together and Rebecca Sherwin does an amazing job of writing this.

Butterfly is the story of Erin aka Caterpillar and Cooper. Erin was a promising swimmer with Olympic dreams only to have them ripped away when they were right in front of her. Several years have passed and she is an assistant swimming coach living with and engaged to Griffin. Cooper shows up one night while Erin is swimming. She is fascinated yet alarmed by him. A few days later while swimming, Cooper drowns, revives, and kidnaps her. This is where Cooper and his Caterpillar's story begins.

Butterfly
"The concept of Stockholm Syndrome plays in my mind. Feelings of trust or affection from captive to captor. I’m not stupid—I know that was his plan; to make me trust him, feel for him, while he broke me beyond repair. I’m not buying it. There’s something deeper. Something so powerful, no amount of therapy or talking it through will save me. Nothing can reverse the effects of his abuse. Nothing will alter the impact his love has had on me. On my soul. On my ability, and want, to spread my wings and fly away from the hell that has become my home. “Ready, darling?” he asks, when he loosens my bindings and takes my hand. I nod. “Time for my little caterpillar to become a butterfly.” I’m ready. I’ve been ready for some time. But I won’t go alone. Oh no. I’ll take my captor with me. The man who stole me from the life I loved and made me fall for the life I loathe. I won’t be going alone. Without him I’m nothing, he made sure of that. But without me, he won’t survive. You see, butterflies are more than pretty little things that flutter blissfully in the garden. At least this one won’t flutter off—I wouldn’t if I could. This butterfly will kill. This butterfly will own. This butterfly will conquer death and hover over it on black wings stained with blood, watching on as the beauty of life slips away beneath her."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly.

Finished Reading