C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Hazel Wood

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2019, magical-fantasy, young-adult, ya-without-romance

Oh I wildly enjoyed this! It's like everything I adore about magical fantasy: deep witchy fairy tales, dark and vicious and lush and beautiful, portal fantasy worlds, mysterious secrets, plot twists and impossibilities, tumultuous friendships, sharp girls and soft boys, and deep magic you can't escape. It's lush and entrancing. Reading it was truly like getting lost in another world.

a whole saturday WELL SPENT if i do say so myself.

(I also got this the month it came out and only just read it now. Oops. But positive is, I have less long to wait for the sequel, which I am officially dying for.)

// Alice isn't having any wonderland adventures, well wow...
Look, I LOVED the plot. Alice and her mum are down-and-out wanderers. Her grandmother is a famous reclusive author of fairy tales, long since out of print and expensive collectables, and her mother seems to be outrunning bad luck. Alice is just trying to be normal, but there's always something impossible flitting the corners of her vision. I just love how she ends up caught in this roadtrip to find her mum. The first 60% of the book is dancing around the edges of magic with it growing denser and thicker. Then the last 40% is HARDCORE FAIRY TALE LAND.

it gave me vague Raven Cycle x Inkheart vibes, which, tbh, is a huge compliment

// the characters
I love love love sharp and angry girls. Although, yes, Alice was wrong at times. She was full of flaws and faults, often refusing to acknowledge her privilege too. She had a lot to learn but I really just...loved her and how she'd bite back. Then there was Ellery Finch, a boy who didn't quite fit with his rich life and was obsessed with the Hinterland fairy tales. He joins Alice on the roadtrip to find her kidnapped mother...and like I loved how they were a strained and then needful friendship, not romance. Like I kinda shipped them? But also was just happy they had other goals. Ellery was soft and such a Hufflepuff; he was also black and super rich and tbh Alice used him a bit for his money but she acknowledged it. And OH G O D did my heart break at one moment. I was so so stressed about these two adorable idiots.

// whimsical and vicious
ugh I love that contrast. Give it to me 100 x over, I will never get sick of it. I loved how the fairy tales were whimsical Stories; but also real, but also cruel, but also cages.

the ending did get a little "telling" for me and I felt vaguely unsatisfied with the last chapter (view spoiler) BUT. There's a sequel coming so I'm hoping for more answers.

// I just really felt in love with the whole concept of the story.
It sparked my imagination and hooked me right in. It made me want to read fairy tales and get lost in wicked woods and I can't think of anything better than a book that takes you on a magical journey with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hazel Wood.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Melissa Albert
“I’m a girl,” I said fiercely. “I’m a person.” “You’re both, and neither. You’re a story, but that doesn’t make you any less true.”
Melissa Albert, The Hazel Wood

October 22, 2016 – Shelved
October 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 23, 2019 – Started Reading
August 23, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "I am FINALLY reading this 🙌🏻 I was so excited! got it in release month! it is now nearly 2 years later! i'm fine! my tbr is under control for sure!"
August 23, 2019 –
page 250
69.64% "these plot twists are just 💀amazing. and i have vague raven cycle vibes 😭🙌🏻"
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 24, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
August 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jessica Reading this one right now because of you! 😁