Fiction Addict's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility: An Amish Retelling of Jane Austen's Classic

Sense and Sensibility by Sarah Price

Oct 22, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: lori-twichell

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. I love Jane Austen and am one of her very devoted fans. I’ve seen and read all the adaptations of her stories, so I come to ‘new twists’ with high expectations indeed. When starting a book that has anything to do with the beloved Austen characters I’ve come to know and love, I always approach hesitantly. And in this case, I had some other concerns because I don’t usually read Amish fiction. I grew up in Amish country. The buggies were something I had to navigate for my driving test and the food, crafts, sewing and furniture were all highly cherished in my home. Sometimes Amish fiction doesn’t pay the proper amount of respect in my opinion.

Thankfully, Sarah Price’s work flew past all of my doubts, concerns and questions. Not only that, it accomplished this with amazing grace, style, and dignity. I am surprised at how very much I loved this book! In fact, I have already passed it along to my daughter who is, much as I was, absorbing it and adoring it.

If you have ever read (or enjoyed the film versions) Sense and Sensibility, you will find this new take on the famous classic beautiful, fresh and engaging. The characterizations and descriptions are spot on (It made me homesick to read it!) and though we all know what happens, it’s still exciting to watch it unfold.

I read this book in one sitting and loved every moment of it! Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

Started Reading