Shelagh's Reviews > The Rarest Thing

The Rarest Thing by Deborah O'Brien

A month ago an author I'd never heard of sent me an advanced reader copy of her new novel, The Rarest Thing.
The first thing that struck me was the exquisite cover photograph depicting the breathtakingly beautiful Victorian alps in the area around Mount Hotham and Mount Feathertop. This cover is a clue to the story within, a story which I found utterly fascinating.
Meticulously researched and with fine attention to detail, this is not only the story of a tiny endangered possum which makes its home in these ruggedly beautiful mountains. It is also a gentle story of two enormously talented people, each facing their own challenges in life, and each able to complete the other and help them face those challenges.
There are so many things that I found to like about The Rarest Thing - the setting in a part of the world that I regard as God's own country, the people who populate the story, each of them very real to me, the issues raised, the quirky little sketches scattered here and there within the book, and the writing itself. This story has been a real pleasure to read and I look forward to investigating more from author Deborah O'Brien.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rarest Thing.

October 21, 2016 – Started Reading