Karen's Reviews > Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson

Jun 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction

Larson follows the course of the discovery of wireless radio technology and a horrific murder, roughly 1890 to 1910. Believe it or not, the two stories do eventually converge. The story falls into the category of truth can be more ... than fiction. This was an interesting times with creative minds inventing and discovering new technology, Victorian age sliding into something more risque, and historical events that we all know by heart. The chief inspector of the murder started his career with the Jack the Ripper case and ended with this case. The murder was inspiration to Alfred Hitchcock for several movies and tv programs. Unfortunately for me, Larson loves facts and includes tons of them in this book. I don't really care about all the workings of radio technology so had to drudge through those bits to get to the intriguing bits of the murder story. But even there, it seemed more a list of the facts than a finely woven story - you can do that with non-fiction. I am glad I read it and do recommend it to others, especially if you are interesting in gizmos! There are still questions about the murder which will never be answered at this point, so it is a great mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunderstruck.