Ted Trembinski's Reviews > Up Country

Jun 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: book
Read from June 23 to July 19, 2011

This book is definitely outside my regular reading list. My grandfather, a regular reader of Grisham and the like suggested I pick this up after he finished it. I think he picked it up after receiving recommendations from family friends, and discovering the author was a native Long Islander.

Another note before I get to the meat is that I read most of this book on a quiet lake during a quiet vacation. That being said, it was an enjoyable summer read.

Overall, Up Country is a modern day and self aware James Bond story. DeMille leads us through Vietnam through the eyes of ex-infantryman Paul Brenner. As an American male born in the late 80's, I never had direct contact with the war. While Up Country is fiction, it has peaked my curiosity and will eventually lead me to further investigation into the Vietnam War, the Vietnamese culture, and veterans of the war.

The writing is mostly pretty simple and easy to read, which isn't a bad thing for the beach. In a long reading stretch, I found some of his writing a bit repetitive, which again isn't a bad thing for the beach. To be fair though, I was engaged for almost the whole read.

My biggest complaint was the ending. Like many writers who churn out large quantities of books in this genre, it seems as DeMille was more concerned with characters and theme over plot resolution.

I'd recommend this to anyone interested in spy novels, particularly those which take place in Vietnam. If your in need of a book on the beach and someone offers you this one, pick it up and give it a spin. It will hopefully relax you as much as it did me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Country.

07/10/2011 page 219