Melissa's Reviews > The Hazel Wood

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

(Review from the author)

UPDATE: I've been getting this question a lot, so I'll answer it here: The Hazel Wood is not an Alice in Wonderland retelling. I just like the name Alice. ;)

For the curious: a first chapter excerpt lives here: http://ew.com/books/2017/06/07/meliss...

(And thanks for being curious!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hazel Wood.

Finished Reading
October 20, 2016 – Shelved
October 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Holli Thanks for writing such a beautiful book.

Melissa Holli wrote: "Thanks for writing such a beautiful book."

I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know. <3

Jamie Just purchased today! Reading this week after I finish my current book, The Cruel Prince. I can't wait ! Back into reading and new to fantasy fiction.

Melissa Jamie wrote: "Just purchased today! Reading this week after I finish my current book, The Cruel Prince. I can't wait ! Back into reading and new to fantasy fiction."

Hooray, thanks! I loved TCP; I hope you enjoy THW. :)

Lucy Langford So glad I purchased this book!! It was amazing and a great way for me to get back into fantasy fiction!

LotusBlade Glorious read! Can only hope there is more to come!

Melissa Lucy wrote: "So glad I purchased this book!! It was amazing and a great way for me to get back into fantasy fiction!"

That's awesome, thank you!! <3

Melissa LotusBlade wrote: "Glorious read! Can only hope there is more to come!"

Hooray, thanks! There is more to come... ;)

theangrygoblin The gorgeous cover of this book made me pick it up in the first place. I’m glad I did! I loved it so much and can’t wait for more

Melissa Sarah wrote: "The gorgeous cover of this book made me pick it up in the first place. I’m glad I did! I loved it so much and can’t wait for more"

That's wonderful, thanks so much!

Antonia Zengin Such a gorgeous book :) thank you so much for writing this, I truly was mesmerised. Couldn’t of loved it more

Melissa Antonia Zengin wrote: "Such a gorgeous book :) thank you so much for writing this, I truly was mesmerised. Couldn’t of loved it more"

Thank you for reading and reaching out, Antonia!! I'm so happy you enjoyed.

Jamie As I wrote you above, I bought your book, and already finished it. WOW! WOW! Loved it and left a 5 star review. The details were so intricate. You are very talented! Can't wait to see what you write in the future!

Melissa Jamie wrote: "As I wrote you above, I bought your book, and already finished it. WOW! WOW! Loved it and left a 5 star review. The details were so intricate. You are very talented! Can't wait to see what you writ..."

That's so kind of you to let me know! Thanks for reading, I'm so happy you enjoyed. :)

Jamie Your welcome!!! :)

Kirstin I have been really confused by some readers' conviction that it is. Like were they reading a different book than I did? :D

Melissa Kirstin wrote: "I have been really confused by some readers' conviction that it is. Like were they reading a different book than I did? :D"

Alice is a loaded name... ;)

Kirstin Melissa wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "I have been really confused by some readers' conviction that it is. Like were they reading a different book than I did? :D"

Alice is a loaded name... ;)"

Too True :D

I really enjoyed the book. I think you've read every single one of my favourite books because there were flavours of all of them in your book and it was amazing, like you were pulling things from inside my head.

Melissa That is amazing!! I love when a book does that for me, so I am honored. <3

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I have to say this book has not left my head since I finished it ! You did a phenomenal job drawing me into Alice’s world and the world of Hinterland. This is the type of book I love ! Where I can re read and find something new to love each time. Thank you for giving me an amazing experience!

Melissa That is wonderful to hear! Thanks for reading, and for letting me know you enjoyed it.

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Stafiej I loved the concept. It was really well written, and I’m very excited for the 2nd story.

Melissa John wrote: "I loved the concept. It was really well written, and I’m very excited for the 2nd story."

Thanks for reading!!

Eileen Got this book for my 16 year old daughter, but I peeked at the first couple chapters last night. Then I raced home from work and power read till the end. Very enjoyable, thank you !

Melissa Eileen wrote: "Got this book for my 16 year old daughter, but I peeked at the first couple chapters last night. Then I raced home from work and power read till the end. Very enjoyable, thank you !"

That's lovely, and I'm so happy you're mother-daughter book-clubbing it! I always give my favorites to my mom when I'm done. <3

message 26: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany I have nothing much to add to what others have said, but I loved the book (as did my teenage daughters)! I can't wait to read the next installment, but i think I'm even more excited to read the collection of Hinterland fairytales!

Melissa Brittany wrote: "I have nothing much to add to what others have said, but I loved the book (as did my teenage daughters)! I can't wait to read the next installment, but i think I'm even more excited to read the col..."

Thanks so much for reading, and for sharing with your daughters! So cool that you all enjoyed it. <3

message 28: by Gale (new)

Gale Jaunes It was really good loved it <

Melissa Gale wrote: "It was really good loved it <"
Thanks so much for letting me know!!

message 30: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Bradley I couldn't get enough of your book! It was a wild ride beginning to end and it is really refreshing to read a YA novel with no chosen one (but Harry Potter references!) AND no romance. I couldn't put it down

message 31: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June Åsheim I really loved your book! Thank you for giving me one of my best reading experiences in 2018.

We have it at our small local library in Balsfjord, a tiny village in North Norway. I work there and have recommend it to all the fantasy lovers I know.

Melissa June wrote: "I really loved your book! Thank you for giving me one of my best reading experiences in 2018.

That is so lovely to hear!! Thanks so much for letting me know. I love thinking of it in a small village in Norway, I will let my Norwegian in-laws know. <3

Melissa Beth wrote: "I couldn't get enough of your book! It was a wild ride beginning to end and it is really refreshing to read a YA novel with no chosen one (but Harry Potter references!) AND no romance. I couldn't p..."

Hooray!! Thanks so much for reading and reaching out. Gotta have the Potter references. ;)