Kathleen's Reviews > What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky

What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky by Lesley Nneka Arimah

bookshelves: women-writers, short-stories
Read 2 times. Last read February 27, 2018 to March 7, 2018.

[6/6/19: It appears GR has combined these reviews due to removal of one of the stories as a separate GR book. The first paragraph was my review of the story "Who Will Greet You at Home" that I believe was published online before the short story collection, and the link I included was removed. The part after GR added "Merged review" is my review of the collection.]

This is so fresh and inventive and ... scary. It resonates like a folk tale and reminds me of that feeling when you wake up from a nightmare wondering "where the heck did that come from?" I'm definitely checking out more of her work.

Merged review:

This is such a special collection of stories from a unique voice that I can’t wait to read more from. Lesley Nneka Arimah writes about things we can relate to, but she shows the inside, the underside, the turned inside out side. She lures you in and then fills you with surprises.

She hooked me with the first story, “The Future Looks Good,” which is an odd dance through past and present with a shocking end. The title story is a brilliant, futuristic concoction about using mathematics to take on another person’s grief. “Glory” tells of a young woman trying to please her mother, and all the interesting ways she fails while trying to decide if pleasing her is what she even wants.

And of course there’s “Who Will Greet You at Home,” a wild take on preparing for motherhood that introduced me to this collection, and is still the most unique story I think I’ve ever read.

“Round and round until the ball of hair became a body and nubs became arms, fingers. The strands tangled together to become nearly impenetrable. This baby would not snag and unravel. This baby would not dissolve in water or rain or in nail polish remover, as the plastic baby had that time.”

Arimah does this with her stories. Round and round she weaves them until her characters come to life ... and then turn around and surprise the heck out of you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky.

October 20, 2016 – Started Reading
October 20, 2016 – Shelved as: women-writers
October 20, 2016 – Shelved
October 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 27, 2018 – Started Reading
March 7, 2018 – Shelved as: short-stories
March 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Loretta Thanks for posting the link to this story Kathleen! What a creepy, sinister read! :)

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Kathleen.

Kathleen Thanks, Angela!

PattyMacDotComma Lovely, Kathleen. Sounds wonderful!

Kathleen Thanks, Patty--it is, and fun too!