Aaron Bunce's Reviews > We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor

A book should succeed, or fail, based off its merits. Risk management. Some authors play it safe for that very reason, telling the same story as countless others, just in a slightly different way, or perhaps through the lens of a slightly different character. Dragons, soon to be decommissioned ship first contact with Aliens and has to save the day, young adult trying to find their way in this hostile world while finding out they are the last remaining spawn of famous vampire hunter or part god...yada yada yada. The list goes on and on. And then you stumble across a book that sounds so wildly different that you almost dismiss it out of hand. Just like I did with We are Legion (We are Bob). I am so happy to say I second guessed myself.

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) is the story of Bob, who just so happens to sign a contract with a cryo company, then up and steps in front of a car while in Las Vegas for a science fiction convention. He wakes up some time later, removed of some vital, physical components. A.k.a, his body. He discovers that his consciousness, through the passage of time, and some corporate acquisitions, has become the I.P of a faith based business state. Their plan for him? Load him into a special probe and launch him out amongst the stars. The rest is legend, and fantastic storytelling. (No spoilers).

We Are Legion (We Are Bob), is riveting science fiction. It melds detail oriented storytelling, with compelling characterization, and does it with a cast of characters that share so much (base code) in common. The idea of Bob making copies of himself, and then keeping them all straight both fascinated and terrified me...from a storytelling perspective, that is. But Taylor does a magnificent job of building each subsequent Bob up as their own character, provide them with just enough individual quirks, and then drawing on the character's science fiction upbringing to give them their own identities and names. The writing is clever, lending the proper snark, witty, and sometimes dry voice to Bob(s), mixing with a fast moving and very interesting story. Taylor has achieved very good literary balance between prose, dialogue, and story. Did it end too soon for me? Yes it did. Do I hate waiting for sequels? Yes I do. But wait I will.

I didn't have any complaints with this book, save for one. I wish I had learned about it years down the road, when I could binge through the entire series of books. Taylor has obviously set himself up for a long-running science fiction series here, and I can't wait to read more. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up! P.S. I highly encourage people to skip the written version of this book, and go for the audio book. The narration lends so much to the different characters (versions of Bob), and wound up being one of the best audio books I listened to this year. Which is saying a lot!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are Legion (We Are Bob).

October 20, 2016 – Shelved