Kyusik Chung's Reviews > Lonely Planet Buenos Aires Encounter

Lonely Planet Buenos Aires Encounter by Lonely Planet
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonely Planet Buenos Aires Encounter.

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian doh.

Kyusik Chung It was useful, but a little weak on content. And like all guide books, absolutely horrendous on restaurant recommendations. Plus, a lot of info about stores were out of date. I get that Buenos Aires is a growing city, but this was supposed to be updated recently. The rating of this book, of course, is no reflection of Buenos Aires.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian yeah, figured the rating was for the book not the city. frustrating when guidebook is unhelpful though...and we've all had the experience i'm sure. ;)

message 4: by David (new)

David Most (offline) travel guides are quickly outdated. Did you try TripAdvisor?

I did use LonelyPlanet guides on the iPhone when I was in Europe. They were pretty good, and they were free because when the Iceland volcano erupted LonelyPlanet was offering all Europe guides for free for stranded travelers, so I just went ahead and downloaded every single one of them.

Kyusik Chung TripAdvisor seemed quite unreliable with food recs as well. :( Too many tourists with bad taste.

I used the iBooks edition of this Lonely Planet guide while on the trip.

message 6: by David (new)

David Oh? How's the iBooks edition different from the app? They have a Buenos Aires app as well. TimeOut also has a free app. :)

Restaurants are tricky. You almost need to know people there or read the language so you can check out local sites/guides in order to find good ones. There's always a little bit of trial-and-error when you visit a new place though....

Kyusik Chung Dunno, except that the iBooks edition works on iPad as well. It looks like the app version for iPhone might handle maps when youre in country without internet better...dunno.

We found NYTimes and Bon Appetit to be much better at recommending restaurants. We were lucky that Bon Appetit did an article on Buenos Aires in Feb.