Forgetfulone's Reviews > House Rules

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: 2015, fiction

** spoiler alert ** This book was so hard to put down. Not because it was truly riveting, but because it made you think. First of all, Jacob is an 18 year old with asperger's syndrome, a highly functioning form of autism. I have taught students with autism before, and in some ways he reminds me of them, but in others, not so much.

One thing I didn't like was that each chapter was from a different character's perspective because I would sometimes forget from whose perspective I was supposed to be seeing things from, and I would have to go back many pages to find out. That's not so bad if you have real pages, but when it's a NOOK, you have a lot of backing up to to. Also, I don't see how she could completely get in Jacob's head and know his thoughts (yes, I realize he's fictional) since the author can't possibly know exactly how an autistic person thinks. I don't think he would use extraneous words such as "like." I realize she attempted to take on the persona of an aspie for a reason, and she surely made her point, but that's just one small area of improvement that could be made.

Another thing is that she really could have ended the book sooner but what the reader already figured had happened was a long, drawn-out purpose. It seems strange that no one would have asked Jacob exactly what truth they were supposed to tell. Six hundred pages was overkill, and she used a lot of cliches.

Last, the ending was incomplete. I wanted a true resolution. I got them driving to the courthouse. I wanted to read how the D.A. and judge responded. I wanted to know if Theo continued breaking in houses. I wanted to know if the kids continued to reject him. I wanted to know how the town reacted. I wanted to know what the dad did in the end.

However, while I have complaints from a reader's perspective, I have to give Picoult praise for writing a thought-provoking, engaging story with very real and complex characters to whom the audience could relate. I truly wanted to know what was going to happen to all of them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Rules.

June 22, 2011 – Shelved
February 14, 2015 – Started Reading
February 14, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
February 14, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction
February 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Melanie Ive got this book to read Dee, let me know how you find it.