Sean Meriwether's Reviews > A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

bookshelves: book-becomes-franchise

It is amazing that this novella about the enlightenment of a curmudgeon has been adapted so many times but has remained fairly true to the source. These ghostly visitations and characters are so entrenched in our culture that “Scrooge” and “Bah Humbug” are clearly defined in our lexicon outside of this text. Some believe that this man-we-love-to-hate character was based on Dickens’s own father, with whom he had a fraught relationship; sometimes authors use their craft to work on complicated relationships. Having read much of Dickens work this piece benefits from brevity (not so long winded and wandering as some of his episodic fiction), and is told in very cinematic prose long before film. This is a piece to be performed, and he did so frequently, acting it out with the character’s voices. It might not be his best writing, I found it hard to swallow Scrooge’s rapid transformation, and could do without the waxing rhapsodic of the benefits of traditional family life. However, the message that we are better people when we help others, and must think about the legacy we leave and the people we touch, is a message that is just as relevant today. This rags to riches story or a young man who becomes distracted by endless pursuit of money villainizes greed and reminds us of our own mortality. Curious if this story has ever influenced anyone to change their ways… but it’s the thought that counts. Kudos to Dickens for drawing attention to the plights of poor children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

June 22, 2011 – Shelved