Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar's Reviews > Better Late Than Never

Better Late Than Never by Jenn McKinlay

it was ok

Read Full & Detailed review: http://cynthology.blogspot.com/2016/1...

The main reason why I chose to read this book was the fact that it was set in a library. I love books and for a brief while, I wanted to become a librarian when I grew up.
The book contained interesting information about books. For instance, we learn that Salinger didn’t want a cover design for his book in order to avoid distracting the reader. Though those references were interesting, they couldn’t raise this book above the ordinary.
The writing is far from distinctive in any way. Of course, mystery writing isn’t meant to be literary fiction, but a few gems worth quoting would have helped. Instead you have nearly all the characters shuddering and getting goose bumps at the thought of the murdered woman checking out the book on the day of her murder.
All the characters are involved in far too much unnecessary drama, taking away from the mystery that should have occupied the author’s sole attention. Not that all this time spent helped. None of the characters actually stood out. They were all flat and insipid.
Lindsey’s third person PoV didn’t sit well with the running commentary of what was going on in her mind. Instead the author should have used the first person viewpoint; that would have made it far more direct and believable.
To make matters worse, there was the romance between Sully and Lindsey. It was such a huge part of the book that it overshadowed the murder. What’s more, it felt drab.
This was not a cozy mystery at all. I wish someone had warned me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Better Late Than Never.

Started Reading