Dean's Reviews > Bad Things Happen

Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan

Jun 22, 2011

it was ok

I just finished a few heavy novels and wanted something a little pulp, a little noir and a little light.
This book popped up with some decent reviews so I thought I would go for it.
Well, I got "light," but this was really not a very good book. A fast read, yes as it's simple style and pacing lends itself to a quick journey, but not a very good one.
The book felt contrived. Always reaching to try and fool and be clever, but coming across as just trying too hard.
The characters felt like parodies of themselves. If this was intentional then "Kudos," but I get the sense it was not.
This was like a cross between a Mexican soap opera and the game "Clue" with remnants of "The Love Boat" thrown in.
The author uses certain phrases several times and I am unsure why. For example: several times the author refers to a character going to get some "tap water." Why? Was this to create a mood? Make a commentary? Make it feel gritty?
The ending is really a stretch, but funny enough, it goes with the general theme: "Herein lies cheese. Have another helping."
It was a fast read and for that it gets an extra star (good pacing), but everything else was really quite pedestrian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Things Happen.

Started Reading
May 2, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 22, 2011 – Shelved

Ashley Hart Love your mexican soap opera meets Clue comparison. Spot on!

Dean Thank you ma'am :)