Andreea Daia's Reviews > Infinity: Chronicles of Nick, Book 1

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jun 22, 2011

bookshelves: juvenile, ab, read-2011, low-fantasy

This was part of my last vacation package (meaning, audio-books that I loaned from the library without knowing exactly what they were about). Apparently there is an adult version of this story/world, but since I didn't read any of those books, I will try to write this review from the perspective of a 14-year-old boy (which seemed to be the targeted audience).

Nick is a smart 9th grader enrolled in a very rich school from New Orleans. That shouldn't be a problem except that Nick comes from a very poor family, which turns him into the subject for every bully's jeer. Through a series of extraordinary events we learn that Nick is meant to either save or destroy the world. No surprises in the main theme here. The whole concept of the story is based on the assumption that we are the masters of our fate (which I agree) and that we can change that fate (which I don't agree). But that's a philosophical discussion way above the level of this book.

"Infinity" is most definitely a juvenile story, but a fun one. I was giggling throughout the book, even if toward the end, maybe the author should have forgone the humor in favor of more tension. But again this novel is geared toward kids, and I believe humor is necessary to keep them reading at that age. There are quite a few quotes from this book in case you want to know what you're getting into before buying/borrowing it. I would definitely recommend it to parents who look for something interesting for their boys to read: it promotes strong characters, good morals (without being thrown in your face), and a purposeful life (again camouflaged into fast-paced zombie-action).

I read a few complains about the writing style being too "oral." Maybe because I listened to this book instead of reading it, the orality didn't strike me as an issue (after all an audio-book would hide a problem like that). Hence I can't say either way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity.

Quotes Andreea Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He wanted to work in Hot Woman Valhalla until he died of testosterone poisoning. (Nick)”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Infinity