Courtney's Reviews > The Freak Observer

The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston

Jun 22, 2011

bookshelves: death-dying-grief, mental-illness, realistic-fiction, teen-fiction, award-winners-and-honor-books
Read from June 22 to 26, 2011

I'm still not really sure what to say or make of this one. On the surface, it appears to be mainly concerned with Loa's mental state following the deaths of her sister and a friend. But there's an awful lot going on in this slim tome. Loa is definitely an interesting character. She's tough and smart, but ultimately still suffering from the death of her little sister, Asta, who had suffered from Rett's Syndrome. Loa had been her sister's caretaker for most of Asta's short life. At some point, the death of a friend named Ester also comes into play. And then there's a bizarre relationship between her and a guy named Corey, who is her maybe-gay debate partner. He leaves for Europe with little explanation, which also leaves her reeling. Throughout the book, elements of theoretical physics make an appearance, which is interesting, but difficult to apply to the storyline (or parts of it, anyway).
I certainly appreciated the uniqueness of this book, though I'm still not sure how everything fits together. It felt a bit unfocused, which was a bit surprising considering how short the book itself it. Loa is a great character though, complex and sardonic. I enjoyed reading the book, but was left with a "huh?" feeling when it was over. Since I appreciate books that make me wonder though, I give this one props for being occasionally oblique.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Freak Observer.