Jeanette's Reviews > Heartless

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, young-adult

She's done it again :) In Heartless Marissa Meyer takes Lewis Carrol's Wonderland and the Looking Glass and brings them to life in the origin story of the Queen of Hearts. Marissa Meyer seamlessly weaves in characters and situations from the two Alice books - the Cheshire Cat, the Caterpillar, the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter and March Hare, even the maid Mary-Ann.

Catherine Pinkerton, daughter of the Marquess of Turtle Rock Cove, is destined to marry the kind but ineffectual King of Hearts, but all she really wants to do is open a bakery with her maid Mary-Ann. Her parents and the rest of the kingdom have other ideas. Then Catherine meets the mysterious Joker, Jest, and his companion Raven. and she begins to weave him into her plans and dreams. But the kingdom is put in danger by a fearsome monster, the Jaberwock - and Catherine begins to wonder what are the Jokers true intentions?

I loved Catherine and Jest, and the synergy between them. Raven, the Mad Hatter, the Duke of Tuskany, Cheshire, even the King and Peter Peter are all wonderful characters. There is so much whimsy and passion, so many twists and turns that the story kept me breathless. I kept hoping that Catherine would escape what seemed to be the inevitable ending, that somehow things would not turn out how Alice found them. Could Jest really make the impossible, possible.

Lots of scrumptious descriptions of food, magical and romantic moments as well as terrifying and profoundly sad ones in Heartless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.

October 18, 2016 – Shelved
October 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2017 – Started Reading
January 14, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 14, 2017 – Shelved as: fiction
January 14, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Nola (new) - added it

Nola Sounds intriguing. I've been holding off reading it until I gt around to Lewis Carroll, but I may have to jump the gun. I didn't know much about Rapunzel until I read Cress and I think I missed some of the nuances.

message 2: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Grant-Thomson We kids ( my gen) all read Alice when we were about six. Seems funny to see this trend.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Vince It sounds intriguing to me too. I'm planning a re-read of Alice soon. Maybe I should put them together.

message 4: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Grant-Thomson Sounds like fun, Paula.

Jeanette She draws from Alice through the Looking Glass too. Will be interested to see what you ladies think :)