Katy's Reviews > The Quest for Nobility

The Quest for Nobility by Debra L. Martin

Jun 22, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, galley-for-review, i-edited
Recommended to Katy by: Debra Martin
Read 2 times. Last read June 30, 2011 to July 1, 2011.

The Kingdom of Otharia is no longer ruled by a king – instead there are duchies, each ruled by a duke and a Grand Counsel over which a Grand Duke, elected by his peers, rules. Long ago Otharia explored Earth, but when the exploration team is massacred, it is decided to quarantine the planet; however, not everyone obeys that. One of the dukes, reliant upon the mining of crystals for his duchy’s wealth, maintains a private portal from deep within one of his mines to a crystal mine on Earth.

Fast forward many centuries and we find Otharia remaining much as it was – but scheming and plotting are in abundance, and who will end up paying the price for the power plays of the greedy? I don’t wish to provide more details, as I don’t want to spoil the story – it is very fast-paced and any more details I provide will give away something!

I should note that “The Quest for Nobility” is sort of a blend of fantasy and science fiction; while Otharia is a fairly advanced culture, their reliance on psi powers keeps them from exploiting natural resources (other than crystals) in the same way that people of Earth do – Otharia has no cars, airplanes or trains. Trading is done by sea, or items are moved through portals controlled by telekinetics. It is a fascinating idea and one I thought could be further explored; perhaps it will be in future books in the series.

A highly engrossing book, I read this in one long sitting. As mentioned, the story is fast-paced and there are a lot of threads of which to keep track. However, this is only the first book in the series, a fact which is evident in the world-building that occurs. I enjoyed it quite a lot and think any fans of fantasy and soft science fiction will as well. Check it out and look for further books in the series - #2 is already available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quest for Nobility.

Finished Reading
July 1, 2011 –
July 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 11, 2011 – Shelved as: i-edited

message 1: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Martin I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!