Katie (Bookwise)'s Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

bookshelves: deliciously-creepy, fantasy, favorites, five-star, great-writing, own
Read 2 times. Last read June 19, 2017 to June 20, 2017.

I just need to shout my love for this book to the highest heavens and the deepest hells. I may need cough drops in order to do so, but you all are at least semi-nice people, and I'm sure you'd understand and maybe send me more? Thanks.

This book is wonderful. This book is incredible. This book is so brilliant that I wish I could reread it sevenfold, and I would but for the fact that my TBR is growing quite rapidly and if I don't keep working at it, it might try to kill me. I'd like to live long enough to reread This Savage Song again, so... well, you see my problem.

Long List of Things I Adored
-WHY IS VICTORIA SCHWAB SO GOOD AT CREATING TRAGIC CINNAMON ROLL CHARACTERS??? August is my baby and I love him. Ilsa is such a sweetheart and I love her. Henry and Emily are adorable, Colin just tries so hard omg... MY PRECIOUSES
-The setting. It's dark. It's scary. But life goes on, and people aren't all camped out in bunkers. They fight and they die, yeah, but the monsters don't always win.
-Morally. Freaking. Grey. AND THAT'S REALISTIC SO YES. Everything isn't always black and white, and so yes I adore this.
-Monsters!!! I adore this too! How many books, exactly, do we get that have this kind of well-defined, morally-grey, wonderfully-developed concept of a monster*?
-The portrayal of sensory overload was spot-on omg. Lights too bright, sounds too loud- I get that. I get that, August, and omgggg I love so much

"August cringed; the overhead lights were too bright, the scraping of chairs too sharp. Everything was heightened, like the volume on his life was turned up but not in an exciting way. Noises were too loud and smells too strong and pain -- which he did feel -- too sharp. But worse than the senses were the emotions. Agitation and anger burned under his skin and in his head. Every comment and every thought felt like a spark on dry wood."

-Music!!!!!!! I may or may not have screamed inwardly when I saw this. I actually play violin, piano, and I do a lot of jazz singing- so this was brilliant. I haven't actually played violin for a while, though, so I might need to start practicing again... I need to steal some souls.
Ahem.

Honestly I'm not going to go into negatives, because at the moment I can't think of any. It's just such a brilliant book, and if you will excuse me, I need to go and reread parts of it.

To sum up? Read the freaking book. It's incredible.

*This is a rhetorical question. Do not answer this**.
**but actually do, because I want to read it please and thank you

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

Quotes Katie Liked

Victoria Schwab
“I mean, most people want to escape. Get out of their heads. Out of their lives. Stories are the easiest way to do that.”

Victoria Schwab
“Sing you a song and steal your soul.”

Victoria Schwab
“The beautiful thing about books was that anyone could open them.”

“August groaned inwardly.

Mind over body.

Mind over body.

Mind over body over bodies on the floor over tallies seared day by day by day into skin until it cracked and broke and bled into the beat of gunfire and the melody of pain and the world was made of savage music, made and was made of, and that was the cycle, the big bang into the whimper and on and on and none of it was real except for August or all of it was real except for him. . . .”

October 18, 2016 – Shelved
November 12, 2016 – Started Reading
November 13, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 19, 2017 – Started Reading
June 19, 2017 –
page 25
5.39% "August is too pure for this world, let alone that one."
June 20, 2017 –
page 128
27.59% "AUGUST MY BABY IS SMILING"
June 20, 2017 –
page 294
63.36% "I love Ilsa more than words."
June 20, 2017 – Finished Reading