Darlene's Reviews > Forgotten Women

Forgotten Women by Freda Lightfoot

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, spain, britain

I received this book free of charge from NetGalley.

Historical fiction is usually the best way for me to pay attention to history. Take a historical event and make it more real by putting characters I like into the story. That is not to say there weren't real characters I would care for in the real event. But since I wasn't there then, I don't know characters who were.

In this case, I have to admit to not having a clue about the involvement of the British helping in Spain. Most of the history given to US students in my day was about dates and famous men. Yawn. Maybe teachers should take note to Freda Lightfoot's method of letting us know about the women who helped all the people regardless of politics.

My only problem was that I didn't care much for most of the characters until near the end. There wasn't a strong urge to see how the painting had anything to do with the rich lady or the crazy hormones floating around the young people who started out with only the desire to help.

Still, there was enough story, or draw, that I kept reading. I remember! It was the feminist thread. It was nice to see that there were some who thought women could do anything that men could do. That women artist could paint as well as their male counterpart, etc.

I just couldn't fall in love with the characters. Hopefully, other readers will like it more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten Women.

October 18, 2016 – Started Reading