⚔ Silvia ⚓'s Reviews > Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: angels, tears-were-shed, fantasy, ya-fantasy, ya, i-ll-go-down-with-this-ship, broke-my-heart, friendship, magic, romance, multiple-povs, enemies-to-lovers, instalove, mf-romance, best-worldbuilding, best-squad
Read 2 times. Last read October 18, 2016 to October 23, 2016.

Full series review.

I enjoyed this book so much. I think it's a full 5 stars for me.

I originally read it last year for the first time during the worst reading slump of my life and it took me one month to finish it. I still liked it a lot, but because of its structure (lots of PoVs, lots of characters, lots of events) and length, I knew I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I had read it within a more reasonable amount of time.
That's exactly what happened now, even though it did take me a little bit longer than usual to read it since I've been slightly busier. In any case, I think this series is one of the best things to have happened to YA, and I know I'm late to the party, but what can I do.

This book takes places in both Earth and Eretz, and it follows Karou and Akiva as well as other secondary characters, whose PoVs I found very interesting. The plot is complicated, and it would be a mess to explain without spoilering the first book, so I won't be trying to sum it up, sorry.

One thing I love about this series is the quantity of themes it touches on. War, love, friendship, kinship, family, hatred, power, and so much more.
Mercy, she had discovered, made mad alchemy: a drop of it could dilute a lake of hate.

Karou and Akiva are such great characters, and even if they don't interact much in this book (but when they do it's breathtaking), the reader feels how they are both present to each other, in a constant internal war (especially from Karou's part) on who's enemy and doesn't feel like it and who's ally and doesn't feel like it, either.
Akiva had brought her the thurible. Thiago -her ally- lied to keep her isolated and alone. Akiva -her enemy- brought her the thurible.

That quote mirrored this one from book one:
He had covered her. Thiago had torn her dress, and Akiva had covered her.

and I found it fascinating that Karou's thoughts were basically the same back then, with a totally different life, and now, with a lot more on her shoulders and her feelings so much more complicated because of everything that was revealed in book one.

Mik and Zuzana were really cute additions to the cast of characters, serving sometimes as comic relief as well as a reminder of humanity, for the reader but mostly for Karou herself.

My favorite secondary character has to be Liraz though.
"You have only to begin, Lir. Mercy breeds as slaughter breeds slaughter. We can't expect the world to be better than we make it."

Her love for her brothers is so strong and I thought it was so perfectly described.
She'd thought that she would do anything for them, but it had never occurred to her that "anything" might mean letting them go.
No one even liked her but these two, and she sometimes thought that was only habit.

One of the most beautiful moments for me was that (view spoiler)

I think this book is absolutely immune from the Second-Book-Syndrome, and I can't wait to jump into the third one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood & Starlight.

September 25, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
September 27, 2015 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 27, 2015 –
October 13, 2015 –
56.0% (Kindle Edition)
October 21, 2015 –
69.0% (Kindle Edition)
October 25, 2015 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
October 18, 2016 – Started Reading
October 18, 2016 –
0.0% "I can already feel my feels before starting this" (Kindle Edition)
October 18, 2016 – Shelved
October 19, 2016 –
October 20, 2016 –
October 21, 2016 –
35.0% "Jael=Ramsay Bolton"
October 22, 2016 –
63.0% "I'm enjoying this so much more than during my first read last year"
October 23, 2016 – Finished Reading