Tracy's Reviews > The Undomestic Goddess

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

Mar 16, 2008

did not like it
Read in March, 2008

I was looking for some fluff, something with a sense of humor. This wasn't it. The book blurb makes it sound like fun. The cutesy-cover makes it look like fun. The tone of the writing make it sound like fun. I found no fun.

I listened to 75 minutes of the 6.5 hour CD version of the book; during that time I didn't find a character that I was remotely interested in, nor did I ever crack a smile (even an inward one). Seriously, if you're supposed to be clever, funny, or even mildly witty, don't you think you ought to put some of that stuff in the first 20% of the book?

I'm sure someone out there thinks this writer's stuff is hilarious. Wow, I SO did not. ::yawn::

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undomestic Goddess.

Sohini Banerjee i ditto you....i felt that at my present age, this book seems such a wate of time...however i do feel that younger girls, primarily teenage girls wouls/could like it.

Megan My guess is that you liked it less because you were listening to the abridged version. The unabridged version is quite light and fun.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Sproul Trust me. I know female attorneys in a big city environment,and the stresses she describes are real. So are the back-biting and sabotage. Yes, the characters are over-drawn, but I enjoyed the whole overachieving attorney scene. Kinsella can't be taken as a serious author - just a chuckle producer, in my book.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen The version I listened to was over 10 hours, so it's odd that yours was so short. I definitely found it hard to get into the book at first, but once she has her little breakdown I was actually really amused for the rest of the book.

Cathy Daniel This book is great fun. Different strokes for different folks! Obviously, chick lit is not for you. There is always War And Peace :)

Mary Fletcher You didn't like Trish? I loved Trish :)

Stefanie Nicholas LOL CATHY. Agreed.

Leah Sarah You should have read it.. not listened. It will have more "feel" if you did. anyway your opinion.:)