Carrie's Reviews > Christmas Under a Starlit Sky

Christmas Under a Starlit Sky by Holly Martin

bookshelves: netgalley

When Neve Whitaker ended her relationship with Hollywood star Oakley Rey she really never thought that she would see him again as she felt she didn't belong in his world. But after heading to Juniper Island in Scotland to be with her family and taking a job as the manager of the Stardust Lake hotel Neve finds herself with a secret that she doesn't know whether she should keep or not.

After a couple of months apart and time to think Oakley decides that Neve is his life and as much as he loves his career he needs Neve in his life to be happy so he follows her to the island to try to win her back. Neve doesn't know what to think when Oakley shows up again in her life, she knows she loves him but she doesn't want to be the one to stand between him and his dreams so when her secret comes out she lies to Oakley and tries to push him away and now thinks it would take a holiday miracle to save their relationship.

Christmas Under a Starlit Sky is the second book in the A Town Called Christmas series by Holly Martin. I haven't read the first book in the series myself and while I do think this one can be read as a standalone I also believe that there may have been a tad bit of setting and character building missing from this quaint small town.

This book unfortunately had me very torn the entire time that I was reading it. For starters I love that the focus of the book included more than just the main couple but a couple of other secondary relationships. Oakley and Neve got the most time in the story but there was a second building relationship between Adam and Ivy that also got a lot of time. Along with those two couples there's also a third that gets mentioned here and there so there was plenty to keep a reader's attention in this particular book.

However, for me this one also seemed to be weighted down with a bit too much angst and drama for my taste. The story starts with Oakley and Neve meeting up after a break up where Neve reveals some important information to Oakley but then lies a bit about it too so that of course led to many chapters dealing with the fall out but instead of when the truth comes out it ends we have a bit more drama just to prolong the story. Now, as far as the other couples they were far less dramatic although not without their own problems but a bit faster getting them worked out and that made them much more likable in my opinion.

In the end I decided to give this one 3.5 stars, I loved the fact that the book focuses on much more than just a single couple but more paying attention to the town but it could have used a bit less angst.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Under a Starlit Sky.

October 17, 2016 – Shelved