Rich Stoehr's Reviews > Alison Wonderland

Alison Wonderland by Helen  Smith

Jun 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: amazon-vine

Alison Wonderland is something of an anomaly.

It has an imaginative, sometimes magical story, but one without a strong direction. It covers a lot of ground in very few pages. It has many interesting characters but none who really spoke to me in any significant way. It has sexuality without much sex. It has an intriguing name that has little to do with the story itself (or does it?).

Alison Wonderland is the story of Alison, whose last name is not Wonderland, though she'd like that. She works as a researcher for the investigative agency she originally hired to prove her ex-husband was not faithful, and her latest case it's getting a lot of attention, of all the wrong kind. Not that she really notices, as she's travelling with her best friend Taron on a drug-infused trip through England's pubs and nightclubs trying to find an abandoned baby. Not a particular baby...any baby that's been abandoned will do. Meanwhile Alison and Taron's friends are getting beaten up and abducted back in London.

Helen Smith has a great way with dialogue and characters and a knack for good, concise descriptions. I liked the interplay between Alison and Taron especially, and the descriptions of the way layers of darkness can fill an empty room. The poems from Jeff, Alison's hopeful and somehow tragic friend, to Alison are touching and well-crafted.

But there's an overall sense of sadness and distance from the story throughout, strange for something so quirky and original. The imagination and flights of fancy in Alison Wonderland seem at odds with its distant and directionless tone.

In the end, I enjoyed reading it, though I'd be hard pressed to say exactly why. Not quite my cup of tea, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alison Wonderland.

June 21, 2011 – Shelved