Thomas Edmund's Reviews > All Blacks Don't Cry

All Blacks Don't Cry by John Kirwan

My initial thoughts of Kirwan's Depression campaign were favourable although I must confess an aspect of me took it for granted that such a project was a symptom of famous people syndrome where popular well known folks get shoulder-tapped to engage in such 'good-works' only to increase their popularity and so forth.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Kirwan did the project out of good-will and genuine desire to help. It was also a struggle to decide to engage in the project, even as world-renowned sportsperson Kirwan's family were concerned about the negative perception of others.

So anyway, the actual book was a surprise for me. Far from an autobiographical or self-help seminar the book really just contains a a straight-forward and down to earth description of what Kirwan went through and a few pieces of advice especially for other 'manly' men. The book doesn't try to cover everything re: depression nor does is dramatize or over-celebrate Kirwan's life and career. It really is a simple, succinct, summary of Kirwan's experience with depression and panic attacks, what helped, what didn't help and few pointers of advice.

In short an excellent read for anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Blacks Don't Cry.

October 16, 2016 – Shelved