Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill's Reviews > Idol

Idol by Keri D. Singleton

“Idol” is an Urban Literature genre story about Renee Starr, a singer/diva, her myriad of friends, and the people who keep things moving as smoothly as possible. There are two men in her life who she cares about, but who care more about her than she does them.

I did not like Renee. I found her to be vain, superficial, high maintenance, self-absorbed, and selfish. It was hard for me to feel anything but irritation toward her, even at the end. I thought the way she used Damian, a star-struck fan, was deplorable and it hit a nerve because she was older than he and was using her stardom to lure him in.

Damian was a typical fan with posters of Renee all over his room, watching all of her videos, listening to every song she ever sang, and was excited to finally get to meet her in person. It was even better since it was his eighteenth birthday.

He had graduated from high school and was geared up to go to college at Drexel when he met her and I was hoping she wouldn’t ruin his future. She was having him picked up in cars and hauled to New York then flew him all over the country to meet with her. He was innocent and impressionable. What was he supposed to think?

It doesn’t sound so bad. Right? Well, it wouldn’t have been if Larry weren’t involved. He was the alleged boyfriend and her manager. He wasn’t everything he should have been as a man and it took a lot for Renee to see that. Meanwhile, she’s stringing Damian along.

Damian was in love with her. I felt bad for him because his feelings were genuine when she was just using him. Despite being a legal adult, he was still just a kid.

Even though I didn’t like Renee, I still enjoyed the story. It was fast-paced, the characters were believable, the writing was good, and it had a surprise ending. The very end had me in tears.
I’m giving the book four out of five stars.

*This review is based on a review copy I received
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Idol.

October 16, 2016 – Started Reading