Petrik's Reviews > Ruin

Ruin by John Gwynne

bookshelves: owned-physical-books, favorites
Recommended for: Epic Fantasy & aSoIaF fans
Read 2 times. Last read March 24, 2019 to March 27, 2019.

Intense, brutal, gory, poignant, epic, and filled with love and vengeance; John Gwynne simply can do no wrong

"Two for vengeance. One for Love."

Ruin, the third book in The Faithful and the Fallen series is a great example of how a penultimate epic fantasy installment ought to be written. This was even better than its predecessors; making this the best book in the series so far.

The plot continued immediately from where Valor left off. This time, following a whopping multi-perspective narrative of twelve characters, the scope of the story gets bigger and darker than before; the threat is higher, the God-War is here, and The Banished Lands are engulfed in chaos and war. In terms of plot progression and quality, John Gwynne did a really fantastic job with Ruin; a huge amount of development was implemented, the deceptions and manipulations planted since Malice have been unmasked. Betrayals and heartbreaks were everywhere in the story and this inflicted a gigantic sense of anxiety for the readers. I probably shouldn’t recommend this book to anyone with any history of heart attacks. I was so anxious that my perfectly condition heart beat way too fast at a lot of points. I seriously think participating in a 5 km run is easier for the toll this book put on my heart but guess what? I love this kind of thrilling reading experience.

Finishing Ruin means that I've read more than 2000 pages of this series; I've invested a lot of hours into The Faithful and the Fallen. The amount of time I spent reading the series so far and John Gwynne's impeccable capability in writing compelling characters made me feel attached to every one of them; I’m genuinely concerned about their fate. This was also possible because as bleak as the story goes, the book never forgets to remind you time and time again how important the bonds you share with everyone is.

“Family. Friendship. Loyalty. These things have been my guiding stars, my light in these dark times.”

As I mentioned before in my Valor review, I won't be mentioning any of the character's names in my reviews for this series. The reason is this: The Faithful and the Fallen is an adult epic fantasy series that have a lot of similarity to A Song of Ice and Fire, featuring a lot of heart-wrenching moments and unpredictable events; even more so on this book. If I mention any of the character’s names, you’ll find out that the particular character survived the previous ordeals and I simply don’t want that. I’ve seen a lot of reviews did this and to me who’s super sensitive about spoilers, I count this kind of situation a spoiler for the series. I want you to feel the anxiety and tensions I felt while reading this book, to not know about the character’s fate and feel concern for their safety as you flip the pages. To say that this book was an emotional roller-coaster is probably a huge understatement because Ruin ended up being a very apt title for the book. There was a lot of up and down moments for the characters, especially during the fantastic action scenes and war sequences which consisted of numerous perspectives shifting between the hunter and the hunted.

There was a duel scene in this book and I can’t stress highly enough how amazing and epic it was. John Gwynne’s knowledge of close-quarter combat really shine in this series and this particular duel scene seemed like a culmination of his battle scene writing’s capability so far. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still hopeful for a greater duel in the last book of the series but it will be difficult for Gwynne to surpass this one. It’s easily one of the best duel scenes I've ever read in a novel so far, superbly written, build-up phenomenally, and executed with great finesse. Safe to say that it gave me goose bump. This doesn’t mean that I'm saying all the other action sequences paled in comparison, it’s just that this specific duel triumphed over the other incredible action sequences.

Ruin filled me with grief and joy like an unrequited love. Even though a lot of events transpired in this book made me really anxious, I can’t help but give my love towards this book for its epic scenes and heartwarming moments. I’m left speechless by the quality progression that this series has and I’m honestly baffled why this series isn't famous yet. It’s seriously one of the best series I have ever read and I’m not even finished with it yet. One more book it is. Wrath is next, and I’m going to embrace it with my whole heart. Now.

Speaking truthfully, I've read more thirty pages of Wrath before writing this because the story ended on one hell of a massive cliffhanger. I salute everyone who survived the wait for Wrath to come out. Again, I absolutely recommend this series for lover of epic fantasy.

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruin.

Quotes Petrik Liked

John Gwynne
John Gwynne, Ruin

John Gwynne
“Two for vengeance. One for love.”
John Gwynne, Ruin

October 15, 2016 – Shelved
February 28, 2017 – Started Reading
March 2, 2017 –
page 274
34.25% "This series is good I want to cry, it keeps on getting better"
March 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)

Justyna I am taking a little break, cause I am doing a buddy read of another book with my friend, but after that, I am definitely going to finish this series.

Petrik I can't stop reading this series!! I hope you'll find your break worthwhile and I'll be waiting for you to start this one! :D

Justyna I am reading The Shadow of What was Lost by James Islington now, it's interesting, but it's too early to say much about it.

Petrik Justyna wrote: "I am reading The Shadow of What was Lost by James Islington now, it's interesting, but it's too early to say much about it."

I'll be waiting for your thoughts on that one! anyway, I just finished Ruin Justyna and trust me, you're going to love this one even more! :)

message 5: by Samir (last edited Mar 05, 2017 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samir Great review Petrik! So, Lord Grimdark is dethroned you say.

Petrik Samir wrote: "Great review Petrik! So, Lord Grimdark is dethroned you say.

"

Thank you Samir!! Well, I wouldn't say this series reached the genre 'Grimdark' yet but it's in the same Dark Fantasy genre and imo this one is superior! Your gif is perfect btw! :D

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Great review! I'm intrigued.

Lema Great review my friend :D And kudos on not mentioning the characters' names nor mentioning the increasingly spoilery GR synposes!! People need to follow this example in how to write safe commentary on books, damn accidental spoilers!

Celeste Such a fantastic review, my love! I'm so glad you're loving this series!! I jumped back on the bandwagon today; 200 pages into Malice. ;)

message 10: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Superb review as always, Petrik.

Heather Hopkins Great review. I bought all four based off the reviews alone. Starting them after Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne.

Justyna Awesome review. I will soon get to it and since you said it's even better than the previous books, I am sure I will love it.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Dayummmmm this is getting excellent ratings from you!! *waits to read review* lol

Petrik Colleen wrote: "Great review! I'm intrigued."

Thank you Colleen!! You should be! :D

TS wrote: "Superb review as always, Petrik."

Thank you TS!! Thanks for being online at the right time! :D

message 15: by Petrik (last edited Mar 05, 2017 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Justyna wrote: "Awesome review. I will soon get to it and since you said it's even better than the previous books, I am sure I will love it."

Thank you Justyna!! Can't wait for you to continue with this series! :)

James wrote: "Awesome review as always mate. Really glad you are digging this series :) x"

Thanks James! One more to go!

Petrik Heather wrote: "Great review. I bought all four based off the reviews alone. Starting them after Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne."

Thank you Heather! Oh my god, I hope you'll end up loving all of them even more than me! xD

Petrik Lema wrote: "Great review my friend :D And kudos on not mentioning the characters' names nor mentioning the increasingly spoilery GR synposes!! People need to follow this example in how to write safe commentary..."

Thank you my friend!! I know right? There's way too many spoilers these days!! *sigh*

Petrik Celeste wrote: "Such a fantastic review, my love! I'm so glad you're loving this series!! I jumped back on the bandwagon today; 200 pages into Malice. ;)"

Thank you my love!! I am so happy that you're back to eat your steak!! :D

message 19: by Petrik (last edited Mar 05, 2017 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Dayummmmm this is getting excellent ratings from you!! *waits to read review* lol"

It's crazy Mary!! Pretty sure the last time I gave such high ratings to a series is 2 months ago during our BR of Red Rising trilogy! :)

message 20: by Jethplain (new) - added it

Jethplain love your reviews! Can't wait to get the books and start reading :)

message 21: by Petrik (last edited Mar 05, 2017 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Jethplain wrote: "love your reviews! Can't wait to get the books and start reading :)"

message 22: by Jethplain (new) - added it

Jethplain Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "love your reviews! Can't wait to get the books and start reading :)"

Thank you Jean! trust me, this series is so much better than The Unhewn Throne! :D"

hahaha! I had high hopes for that one, I almost abandoned it but couldn't just sit with myself knowing I started a book and didn't finish it.

Frankie Lovely Petrik ... I'm angry with you a little right now and here is why:

1) Now I really really really want to pile this series on top of my already overflowing tbr shortlist and IM DROWNING IN BOOKS!

2) My library does not have this series ... neither of my libraries ... nor any libraries within a 1 hour drive.

3) The e-book is $8 and I'm a cheap ass when it comes to e-books. I would so much rather fork out the extra money at that price and buy the physical copy.

4) These books are like unicorns to find in hardcover ... like I think book 1 doesn't even exist in HC at all ... and I am a super super super hardcover snob!

So now I am angry with you. Even though you are guilty of nothing except writing a really awesome and compelling review for this book and series!

Petrik Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "love your reviews! Can't wait to get the books and start reading :)"

hahaha! I..."

Haha the first 2 book of that trilogy were really good but the last book is quite disappointing! I totally agree with you though, I can't leave a series unfinished, I have to read everything xD

message 25: by Petrik (last edited Mar 05, 2017 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Frankie Lovely wrote: "Petrik ... I'm angry with you a little right now and here is why:

2..."

Thank you Frankie and I'm so sorry!!! xD

That's quite a predicament you face there but I really hope you'll get to read this series. The 2nd and 3rd book is very fast paced while the 1st book is slow paced but it's all really worth it!

Have you tried Bookdepository?? I bought this series over there and they used to have all the paperback and hardcover of the entire series! The floppy paperbacks (the one I bought) are really cheap, none of them even reach $15! I hope this helps Frankie, let me know how it goes! :D

Frankie Lovely Petrik wrote: "Frankie Lovely wrote: "Petrik ... I'm angry with you a little right now and here is why:

Also ... I just want to add how you are one of my absolute favorite reviewers. As another super spoiler sensitive reader I know that I can ALWAYS count on you Petrik to give me what I want to know without the possibility of spoiling me in the least. You are awesome for this!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Excellent review for an excellent book Petrik. I absolutely agree with you that it is a crime how under the radar this fantasy series is.

Petrik Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Excellent review for an excellent book Petrik. I absolutely agree with you that it is a crime how under the radar this fantasy series is."

Thank you very much Eon!! Yeah that's true, I'll recommend this series to every fantasy fans I know along with anything by our king, Sanderson. Seriously though, this is injustice!

Petrik Frankie Lovely wrote: "BAH! I am on an epic book search for this series as we speak Petrik! This series sounds like everything I love in life tbh. You had me at "brutal" and "gory"

Oh my god Frankie, that's really kind of you to say that!! I feel like I should copy your praise and print it out, that really means a lot to me! In fact, that's what I'll do :D

Thank you very much my friend!! I hope your epic search for this series will come to fruition, please let me know how it goes! I must remind you though that some scene, especially on this installment is really gory. I meant, like body parts (inside and outside) flying everywhere..

Orient Oh wow, series getting better and better. Great epic review, Petrik ;))))

message 31: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Really!? Really?! Why are you doing this to me? Why are you giving me yet another high fantasy series to read???? xD

Petrik Orient wrote: "Oh wow, series getting better and better. Great epic review, Petrik ;))))"

Thank you Orient!! Sooo when will you start this series??? ;)

Petrik Johanna wrote: "Really!? Really?! Why are you doing this to me? Why are you giving me yet another high fantasy series to read???? xD"

Why why why??? Isn't it a good thing Johanna?? xD it's really good!!

Orient Petrik wrote: "Orient wrote: "Oh wow, series getting better and better. Great epic review, Petrik ;))))"

Thank you Orient!! Sooo when will you start this series??? ;)"

Lol, IDK, there are so many people who want me to start reading smth, is March an official month for reading the friends' faves? :D

Petrik @Orient: hahaha maybe it is! Or hey, maybe we just want you to read our favorite books cause we all care about your reading experience! :D

Orient Petrik wrote: "@Orient: hahaha maybe it is! Or hey, maybe we just want you to read our favorite books cause we all care about your reading experience! :D"

I like to read books, loved by others :) Are you ready to give me one of your precious reads as prey? I'm not a gentle reviever :D Oh and I already broke Ivan's heart DNFing his fave :) Consider yourself warned ;)

message 37: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Petrik wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Really!? Really?! Why are you doing this to me? Why are you giving me yet another high fantasy series to read???? xD"

Why why why??? Isn't it a good thing Johanna?? xD it's really ..."

Of course it is ... but my TBR! How am I ever gonna finish it?! xD

Petrik Orient wrote: "Petrik wrote: "@Orient: hahaha maybe it is! Or hey, maybe we just want you to read our favorite books cause we all care about your reading experience! :D"

I like to read books, loved by others :) ..."

Petrik Johanna wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Really!? Really?! Why are you doing this to me? Why are you giving me yet another high fantasy series to read???? xD"

Why why why??? Isn't it a good thing Johanna?? ..."

HAHAH! we will never be able to finish our TBR Johanna! Never. Believe me, I'm trying to right now but it will be one heck of a journey xD

Mayim de Vries Honestly Petrik. Behave yourself. Recently you have been throwing all these 5-stars reviews in my direction as if my TBR list was not long enough....

Orient Petrik wrote: "That sounds kinda scary but I'll take my chances Orient! I hope you'll get around to it soon so I can talk about it with you! this series really need a fanbase :')"

I'll see what can I do *sighs* :) good idea with a fanbase, you're doing great in trying to create it ;)

Petrik Mayim wrote: "Honestly Petrik. Behave yourself. Recently you have been throwing all these 5-stars reviews in my direction as if my TBR list was not long enough...."

Hahah i'm a bad boy Mayim!! I don't give a lot of 5 review actually so you'll know how great this series is for me! :D

Petrik Craig wrote: "Liked but skimmed the review for now, apologies, i am loving the first book so don't want to know anything, even the tiniest detail. Glad you say it's still going strong :)"

Hey thanks Craig and no worries man. It's always better to jump into a series you're interested in blindly! Hope you enjoy the series as much as I do!

message 44: by Petrik (last edited Mar 06, 2017 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Orient wrote: "Petrik wrote: "That sounds kinda scary but I'll take my chances Orient! I hope you'll get around to it soon so I can talk about it with you! this series really need a fanbase :')"

I'll see what ca..."

Hahaha thank you Orient! I'm doing my best to recruit you and everyone else! :p

message 45: by Melika (new)

Melika Lux You are just plowing through these books, my friend! :D

Petrik Melika wrote: "You are just plowing through these books, my friend! :D"

3 giant books within 2 weeks my friend! It's crazy! :D

Petrik Maddie wrote: "Perfect review, Petrik!:)"

Aww thank you Maddie!!

message 48: by Miche (last edited Mar 07, 2017 08:30AM) (new)

Miche I might have to start this series sooner than I thought! You have been tempting me. :)

Petrik Miche wrote: "O might have to start this series sooner than I thought! You have been tempting me. :)"

Yeay! I'm glad the temptation worked! Seriously though please give this series a try Miche! :)

☽Luna☾ Great review brother <3