Carolyn F.'s Reviews > Burning Up Flint

Burning Up Flint by Laurann Dohner

Jun 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, erotic-sexual, sci-fi, sfr

Mira's space shuttle is captured by cyborgs who she's been told were killed about 20 years ago. The government lied and the cyborgs have made a new life for themselves, stealing properties from other space
shuttles/ships. Mira's glad they didn't die out and tells their leader Flint so. He's surprised by her reaction and ends up taking her as his property. Since they were property for people on Earth, they don't think there's anything wrong with people from Earth being their property. Mira likes him more than she thinks is good for herself and when she thinks he's just going to use and discard her she tries to escape. This part I didn't like, Flint sells her to another cyborg who wants to bed her, remove her uterus and hire her out as a whore and Flint doesn't want her back. She begs and begs and
eventually he relents, but my gosh it was horrible to even read those pages. I know it's not right but I'm giving it a lower rating just because of that whole scene. I'm going to read the rest of the series. I hope it's not as depressing as this book was. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Up Flint.

June 20, 2011 – Started Reading
June 20, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 21, 2011 – Shelved
June 21, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook
June 21, 2011 – Shelved as: erotic-sexual
June 21, 2011 – Shelved as: sci-fi
May 29, 2013 – Shelved as: sfr

Steph I agree, that part was horrible, and led me to think Flint cared more about pride than Mira. I personally found her having to beg him not to be cut up and used as a whore repugnant, and it lost Flint all respect. I mean who wouldn't escape - that was something he should have understood, On top of that he screws her after she apologizes like everything is ok, when in reality he still was getting rid of her.
I did think after reading other books in the series that Iron was probably tricking/scaring her into begging Flint, since he tricks Dawn in book 3. I imagine he really didn't want Mira since Flint was his friend, and he knew Flint would want her back.

Carolyn F. I agree Steph, about the machinations of the other characters. And although this wasn't my favorite, the others were a lot better.