Gigi's Reviews > Off Base

Off Base by Annabeth Albert

bookshelves: arc, mm-contemporary, mm-military, gay-book-reviews

To start my review, here are the notes I took while reading it:

1. These boys are both 23ish, out of college and in their first jobs. BUT, they felt very young to me. As is says in the blurb, one of these boys is a virgin. I would categorize this as YA/NA, with hot sex.

2. There was a LOT of homophobia in this book.

3. This is a spinoff of the #gaymers series.

4. THIS BOOK COMES OUT ON MY BIRTHDAY!

Now let's break it down.

Our heroes are Navy SEAL Zack and his roommate redhead Pike (best name ever and a ginger!). Zack is gay but has never had a sexual experience with a man before. Pike curls his toes and the romance and sex are inevitable. I'm not a big fan of teen and new adult romances, and ever though these boys are in their early 20's, they read younger to me. Late teens young. That's just not my thing but I know that is something a lot of you guys enjoy.

Zack's parents are the WORST. Like, terribly homophobic and hurtful. They treat Zack's coming out with disgust and Zack is justified in his fear of revealing his sexuality. I really do hate that shit, but it worked here to show Zack's younger state of mind.

For those of you who have read the #gaymers series, this is a spinoff and you will see characters from that series here. Off Base can be read as a standalone, but it was lovely to see some of the other boys too.

January 9th is my 48th birthday! I got my present early in the for of a military themed M/M romance by one of my favorite authors, Annabeth Albert.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Galley copy of Off Base provided by Carina Press in exchange of an honest review.

This review is also posted at Gay Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Base.

October 15, 2016 – Started Reading
October 15, 2016 – Shelved
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: mm-contemporary
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: mm-military
5.0% "*whispers* Ginger"
October 15, 2016 –
8.0% "It didn't hit me until now, but this is a #gaymers spinoff. Ryan and Landon are here so far."
October 15, 2016 –
30.0% "So much homophobia. It makes me so sad."
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 15, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: gay-book-reviews

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ I about hyperventilated when I saw this one on NG! Could not hit WANT fast enough.

message 2: by Ele (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ele It's fate !

message 3: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat I see the word SEAL and it's like a Pavlovian response. Must. Read.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Natalie wrote: "I see the word SEAL and it's like a Pavlovian response. Must. Read."

LOL yup!

Gigi When I first saw this on her FB page w/o a cover I thought it was a baseball book. BUT IT'S A SEALS BOOK! And IT'S RELEASE DAY IS JANUARY 9, MY BIRTHDAY!

I'm going to live in my fantasy world and believe Annabeth thought, "Boy, I sure do love that Gigi! Let's write her the PERFECT book for her birthday."

message 7: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat Gigi wrote: "When I first saw this on her FB page w/o a cover I thought it was a baseball book. BUT IT'S A SEALS BOOK! And IT'S RELEASE DAY IS JANUARY 9, MY BIRTHDAY!

I'm going to live in my fantasy world and ..."

OMG! My birthday's the 8th. Capricorns rule!

Christelle Gigi wrote: "When I first saw this on her FB page w/o a cover I thought it was a baseball book. BUT IT'S A SEALS BOOK! And IT'S RELEASE DAY IS JANUARY 9, MY BIRTHDAY!

I'm going to live in my fantasy world and ..."

You so deserve such a gift !!

Gigi Natalie wrote: "OMG! My birthday's the 8th. Capricorns rule!"

You get Elvis! My daughter was due on the 8th so we called her Baby Elvis all through my pregnancy. We even got Elvis stuff from our baby showers! But she came early and is an almost-Christmas baby. *sigh* Poor thing.

*Capricorn fist-bump*

message 10: by Gigi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gigi Christelle wrote: "You so deserve such a gift !!"

You are sweet to say so! And I'll continue to live in my fantasy world. :)

message 11: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat Gigi wrote: "Natalie wrote: "OMG! My birthday's the 8th. Capricorns rule!"

To this day, I can't stand Elvis! I know, sacrilege.

message 12: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat Gigi wrote: "Natalie wrote: "OMG! My birthday's the 8th. Capricorns rule!"

And I hope she doesn't have my relatives; "Here's your Christmas/birthday gift". Cheap bastards, would have had to buy another one if I was born in July! :)

message 13: by BR11 (new) - rated it 4 stars

BR11 That animated gif is hilarious! I'm LMAO.

Marte - Thunderella Spinoff to the Gaymers series?? :D Love that.
That gif is awesome! Happy to see four stars.

message 15: by Gigi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gigi Marte wrote: "Spinoff to the Gaymers series?? :D Love that.
That gif is awesome! Happy to see four stars."

Marte - Thunderella Gigi wrote: "4 stars only because the boys read so young to me. I think you're gonna love it Marte!"

Yay! :D

message 17: by BR11 (new) - rated it 4 stars

BR11 Is Zack a friend of Ryan's from Connection Error?

message 18: by Gigi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gigi BR11 wrote: "Is Zack a friend of Ryan's from Connection Error?"

Yes, he is a Navy SEAL and Ryan is his best friend.

message 19: by BR11 (new) - rated it 4 stars

BR11 Aaaahh cannot wait!

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Happy Birthday! Great review as always :)

message 21: by Gigi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gigi Cassandra wrote: "Happy Birthday! Great review as always :)"

Thanks Cassandra!!

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra :)
Hope your day comes with a big 3 layer chocolate affair with sprinkles and sparklers

Secilia_numa Happy birthday! Love your reviews.

Laxmama Happy Birthday

message 25: by Gigi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gigi Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

Melanie Gigi I totally agree with your age comment. I felt like these guys were 18 instead of mid 20s. And therefore I could NOT picture Pike as a professor. The homophobia was a bit too heavy for me, although admittedly the HEA was delightful.

message 27: by Gigi (new) - rated it 4 stars