C.G. Drews's Reviews > A Quiet Kind of Thunder

A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara  Barnard

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, mental-illness, read-2017, deafness, disability, young-adult

This book is just SO FREAKING CUTE AND BEAUTIFUL that I just...I can't even begin to describe the dorky smile on my face right now. No seriously, I spent so much time while reading this just smiling. SMILING. It's not a complex book, it doesn't have a lot of plot, and I did feel the ending was a tiny bit rushed but -- omg it was Too Pure, Too Precious™ and my heart feels very full right now.

+ I loved how it featured both social anxiety and deafness.
Steffi has social anxiety and selective mutism, and Rhys is deaf. And ok may I just say it was so so well done I can't even. I can't. I have so many feelings about the rep here!!! I can't say anything personal about the deafness rep except (a) the author clearly had done a ton of research, (b) it matches lots of ownvoices accouns I've read, and (c) it was well written and encompassed SO many details about the Deaf community!!! I loved it. And Steffi's anxiety was just A+ and so well done omg. As someone who as severe social anxiety too, it was like so nice to see Steffi (a) on a journey to help herself because she wanted to not because she was being shamed into it, and (b) to show how dark and lonely it is to be attacked with anxiety all the time, and (c) to show S.A.D disorders don't make you broken and you don't have to become neurotypical to be fixed.

GOD. IT WAS JUST SO GOOD.

+ The romance was so freaking adorable.
Steffi sort of views herself and Rhys as: the mute girl + the deaf boy. And I loved how it fit together. They're sort of shoved together at school because Steffi knows some BSL and Rhys obviously does so...boom. The teachers smoosh them together. AKA the teachers are the best shippers in the universe. THESE TWO. THESE ADORABLE TOO. Their friendship is cute and dorky and sweet, so so so innocently sweet at first and just ahhhhhh. It's not rushed or instalove and it's FULL of anxiety and awkwardness still.

+ OOoh what is this I see? GOOD PARENTS?
Steffi's parents are separated but, mate, this equals her having FOUR excellent parents who love her (!!) like wow. (Although Steffi's mum was really horrible at first and completely ableist towards her daughter's condition. ruhughughauRGUHG.)

+ Actually lovely female friendship!
Steffi's BFF is Tem and they've been close forever but like...after reading Beautiful Broken Things I was worried Steffi/Tem would get poisonous...it didn't. This is a GLORIOUS example of really really good female friendship! It's not perfect. It has problems. But they love/support each other. BLESS 'EM.

+ Muchly diversity.
Obviously there's anxiety, mutism, and deafness....but also Rhys and Tem are both POC!

+ Honestly there is not much plot.
Which usually bothers me in books but this was SO CUTE THO. I did feel it made the ending rush because obviously dire things have to happen in the climax...and like there was freaking 10 pages to go and I'm like "THIS ISN'T OKAYYYYYYYYY MAKE IT BETTTTTER" like the emotional wreck I apparently am. Dude, don't you just sometimes read about good people and want PURELY good things to happen to them?! Me @ this book. But I still loved it. Luuuurved it.

+ Okay but Rhys had some really frustrating ingrown sexism going on there.
Just with his whole: but Steffi I must take care of u my dove. And I'm just like NO. SHE IS A PERSON, NOT A LOST SOCK. But it was addressed and I liked that Rhys wasn't perfect. Steffi wasn't perfect. They both displayed some subconscious ableism to each other at times...but you know what? It was addressed. Niiice.

+ OH MY GOD IT WAS JUST SO CUTE.
what is this fluff

ALL IN ALL: This is an adorable story about first loves and being scared of the world but not letting it bite you. There's not "romance cures all" in here. There's no "quick fixes"...actually there's no fixes. There's help and support and change and growth. I fully admit it wasn't fast-paced or like complex. But it was SWEET and I just loved it so much. I ship this mute girl and this deaf boy and their language with their hands and hearts so bad.

I've been so sappy in this review I just need to go read about a dark murder or something omg who even am I.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Quiet Kind of Thunder.

October 14, 2016 – Shelved
October 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 11, 2017 – Started Reading
September 11, 2017 –
page 137
42.81% "This is the second book this month that I'm reading that I've owned since January.
Am I getting on top of my TBR pile?????????
Am I being a functional bookworm???????
I don't even know myself anymore."
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: mental-illness
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: deafness
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: disability
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Dannii Elle Totally with you on this. It is the cutest frickin' book! Barnard is SUCH a good writer.

Kim at Divergent Gryffindor Omg I thought this released next year instead of this year! Ugh!! But anyway, now I need to read this!

Ayla This is definitely one of my all time favourite contemporaries! 100% relate to everything you mentioned in your review. :)

Joud Great review Cait!! looking forward to reading it :D

Megan Fantastic review! :) I'll be keeping an eye out for this one in the future.

Cri (PaperbacksandPizza) Did I just read 'female friendship', 'diversity', 'good parents' and 'social anxiety and deafness are well done'?! Basically this book contains all the things I LOVE. Brilliant review, Cait, as always ;)

rachel This book was everything! I'm so happy you loved it. The rep was beyond perfect. Made my heart melt into a billion pieces.

message 8: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy I was reading through this review like, "I know I've read this book but I don't remember enough of this to know if I agree because none of this is ringing any bells," so I decided to go back and read my own review and it turns out I read it at like 3am SO THAT EXPLAINS A LOT. (Why do I always do this)

C.G. Drews Aww thanks everyone!! You're so nice! And honestly this book was just pure and good (although not without difficulties for the characters haha) and I'm so heartwarmed right now. <3 <3

message 10: by Tahlia (new) - added it

Tahlia I've been meaning to read this for ages! Great to hear you liked it

message 11: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Paquet asdfjkl i don' like squishy books but because I'm interested in sign language + the cover matches my room (yes, my room is pink and gold.) + your review says it's adorable = yes plz i will read

message 12: by BookHugger (new) - added it

BookHugger I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK SO BADLY

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Tahlia: I totally hope you try it!

@Daisy: Well it's very romantic. 😂

@BookHugger; PLS DO IT'S JUST THAT CUTE AND WONDERFUL.

@Veronica: Thanks! :D

message 15: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie (The Book & the Owl) @Veronica: BookTubers won't tell you, but the book itself does. The Publisher wrote a warning note on the back. Honestly, no BookTuber mentions this because it is a well-known fact that this book contains mature content and it is not suitable for younger readers. Why does somebody bother their audience with facts everyone knows? :D

@Cait: As always - a very good and structured review. I enjoy your way of writing very much! ^^

message 16: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie  Hanna Okay I need to read this immediately. *nods*

message 17: by Shagun (new) - added it

Shagun Popli I finished reading the book today. took me 2 straight days and while adding it to my shelf here I saw your review and I agree with every single word in it! I was so proud of Steffi during the whole thing and hello can I PLEASE get a Rhys in my own anxiety stricken life! his character was so beautifully written. every character for that matter. so very real and still beautiful. the last 3 pages of the book really got to me ...and when Steffi tells Rhys that even if they take take a while to get stronger...they can be softer...that part hit me right in the gut cause now I've decided to go with that too...I have severe social anxiety as well. and I cannot believe a story like this was just sitting in my shelf for months..and I got around to reading it now!

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Shagun: I totally understand how you feel! I feel like I've done myself a disservice this whole year but only reading it now.😂 It was beautiful and had good messages and afjdskal the kind of quality book I want in my life. <3

message 19: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Paquet i'm dying for this book.

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Daisy: I hope you get to read it soon!

message 21: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for September. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...