Alexandra Daw's Reviews > KidGlovz

KidGlovz by Julie Hunt

Oct 15, 2016

liked it

This was the first graphic novel I have ever read. It was an interesting experience but I don't think that I'll rush off and read another one anytime soon. It's just not my thing.

I'm not sure what audience the author is aiming at but I'm going to say 8-12 year old boys at a guess. The story is about KidGlovz, a child prodigy, whose wicked "Uncle" Dr Spin manages his concert career and has insured KidGlovz' fingers for six figure sums.

But KidGlovz is kept under lock and key and starved to keep him small. It's a miserable life and he just wants to play his own compositions. KidGlovz forms a friendship of sorts with Shoestring, a tightrope walker and thief, who is keen to make the grade with his Uncle's gang by suggesting they kidnap KidGlovz.

Plans go awry, the boys make their escape and end up in a fantastical underworld of giant shepherds whose banter provides some mirth. I was reminded of other saga type stories e.g. Lord of the Rings and/or Star Wars.

There's a faithful dog, invisible rope, fortune tellers, dreamers and more. So my thoughts are, if you are trying to engage a reluctant reader, then maybe this is the ticket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read KidGlovz.

October 14, 2016 – Started Reading