Marleen's Reviews > The Love Season

Jun 20, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: elin-hilderbrand
Read from June 20 to 26, 2011

So far I’ve read five other Elin Hilderbrand’s books and I generally enjoy her stories set on Nantucket. Hilderbrand’s writing style is fluent and very pleasant. In my opinion, she’s quite good in creating cozy atmospheres. So, I have not (yet) grown tired of this author, and maybe I never will. Eventhough I didn’t like “The Love Season” as much as her other books, it was still an okay read and I was interested to get to the end.
The reason why I wasn’t enthralled with this story has everything to do with the 2 female lead characters: I had a hard time relating to them. Both Marguerite and Renata claim to be strong, and see themselves as being independent women, but through this entire book the contrary is proven. I felt very sad for them, and honestly I kind of pitied them. Also, I didn’t see the allure of Candace. Besides Candace’s physical beauty I don’t think the author succeeded into wholeheartedly convince the reader what Candace was all about - and demonstrate why she was such a “shining star”. Why did everyone fell in love with her, including Marguerite? I didn't see it.
The one character I truly understood, because the author did succeed into bringing him to life, was Porter. He was totally there, in all his dimensions, flaws and all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love Season.

06/01/2016 marked as: read