David Schaafsma's Reviews > Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening

Monstress, Vol. 1 by Marjorie M. Liu

bookshelves: ya-fall-2016, gn-superhero-scifi-fantasy, gn-women, ya-scifi-fantasy

A 2016 Goodreads comic of the year nominee, and much deserved, I would say. A couple of my (possibly more comics-experienced) Goodreads friends (males of our species) had not liked this series, so I held back for awhile. And I’m not a huge fantasy reader, and this looks like historical fantasy, which I have even less experience with, though it does look it comes with a side of something like steampunk, which I like. . . and there’s some horror in it, okay, good, then many many other friends liked it and I was in to read it. I can say that since this is the first volume they have privileged action and not backstory in the world-building. The action is pretty frenetic, so they’re hoping you will just go with it and just ignore what the hell Lilium is and so forth. Which I sort of did, though I was kind of confused a lot.

What I gather is that there was recently or a while ago a war between humans and animal-hybrids, Arcanics, the surviving members of which are sold as slaves. Cumaea would seem to be the humans—and are they all witch-nuns?--who live off this aforementioned Lilium produced by Arcanics. Whatever that is. Sometimes you don't want to know.

Maika is our main kick-ass woman, who has lost an arm. Others seem to have lost limbs, too. It’s pretty brutal, not kid stuff, this story, let me tell ya. Horror, I said. Maika has some dark past; she’s a killer, and dangerous. Is she a monster or monstress? Masks have power here, not exactly sure how yet, but they look cool. All the costumes and the dark intricate artwork from Takeda are great. The feel is a kind of blend of western and eastern (manga) art and sensibility. I think this is finally a great start. I's more violent than I imagined it would be, that's for sure, which is kind of a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monstress, Vol. 1.

October 13, 2016 – Shelved
November 2, 2016 – Started Reading
November 2, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-scifi-fantasy
November 7, 2016 –
page 70
29.79% "This is much better than I thought it would be. It;s fantasy, horror, a combo of Eastern and Western comics, much more violent than I expected..."
November 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight) I had a hard time wrapping my head around a lot of it but I'm willing to go along with it. The whole eye thing is just creepy. I hope we get more info in the next volume.

David Schaafsma Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight) wrote: "I had a hard time wrapping my head around a lot of it but I'm willing to go along with it. The whole eye thing is just creepy. I hope we get more info in the next volume." Yeah, I am a little lost but I love the art and all the women. When will get sick of all the strong girl stories?! When will be demanding gender equity: More Boy Stories?! Uh, maybe not anytime soon, Dave. . . but seriously, I will use this in my YA GN class next summer, even though it is NOT YA, really...

Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight) It would be a great discussion starter for sure. Plus I want to see more strong girl stories too!

Trish Glad you enjoyed this almost as much as I did! Although I don't know where the confusion comes from. Cumaea are witches basically, who formed a religion. Their power must at least in part stem from Lilium (life essence of Arcanics from their divine side of the family tree). ;)

David Schaafsma Trish wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this almost as much as I did! Although I don't know where the confusion comes from. Cumaea are witches basically, who formed a religion. Their power must at least in part stem from..." I need your witch wisdom to guide me, clearly. I am not a fantasy reader and am not familiar with a lot of the insider language, but I will keep reading and it will get clear. Some of the backstory comes with that weird cat historian's interludes. . . which is sort of dry, sort of useful, sort of cute compared to all the amputations and blood...

David Schaafsma Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight) wrote: "It would be a great discussion starter for sure. Plus I want to see more strong girl stories too!"That YA class I did had almost all strong girl stories. Will do that again next summer with many new stories and stuff I didn't use last summer.

Trish David wrote: "I need your witch wisdom to guide me, clearly. I am not a fantasy reader and am not familiar with a lot of the insider language, but I will keep reading and it will get clear. Some of the backstory comes with that weird cat historian's interludes. . . which is sort of dry, sort of useful, sort of cute compared to all the amputations and blood... "

*lol* I'm not an expert either but I thought they did a pretty good job at explaining just enough. And yes to the cats. *squeals*

David Schaafsma Trish wrote: "David wrote: "I need your witch wisdom to guide me, clearly. I am not a fantasy reader and am not familiar with a lot of the insider language, but I will keep reading and it will get clear. Some of..."Yes to cats for me, too.

Sud666 heh,,cool pic

Sud666 this sounds interesting David..will check it out

Trish Sud666 wrote: "heh,,cool pic"

Thanks. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's cat pics/gifs. ;)

David Schaafsma Trish wrote: "Sud666 wrote: "heh,,cool pic"

Thanks. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's cat pics/gifs. ;)"
You are, indeed. There's plenty of evidence for that.

David Schaafsma Sud666 wrote: "this sounds interesting David..will check it out"
Sam Quixote said he was so bored he couldn't finish the first issue, others I have as friends didn't like it, as I said above. But I liked it.

Trish David wrote: "You are, indeed. There's plenty of evidence for that. "

I like to be thorough. ;)